Need help my axolotl :(

genzync

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hi I bought sammy my axolotl 4 months ago now he won't stop floating so I searcher through the forum and saw putting it in the frigde so I'm gonna try that but can you tell me how many hours will I let it stay there and also his gills are swelling and I don't know why and I want his gills to grow back the way it used to be :(

Attachments

• 20140715_204537.jpg
    20140715_204537.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 20140715_204556.jpg
    20140715_204556.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 96
I just transfer him to a small container with tap water on his tap I also use tap water I have sand ( got if from beach and washed it with tap water for 2 weeks ) I checked my axolotl from the fridge and its not moving still his side is floating is it gonna die? :(

You need to test your water and tell us your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and temperature. It looks as if your axie may be suffering from a problem related to water quality or temperature.

We also need to know what you feed your axie and how often, as well as its size and age.

If you put your axie in the fridge it needs to stay there for a day or 2 with daily water changes with dechlorinated water.

I'll try to buy for testing the water maybe tomorrow. His like 8 inch long and I feed him meal worms I mostly cut it in half just to make sure he can digest it I feed him like twice a day

Mealworms are a terrible staple and even bad as common snacks.

Try putting him on earthworms, much easier to digest and MUCH healthier

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Also I don't know what kind of tap water you have but most of us have to use a conditioner on the tap water to get rid of the chlorine and chloramines and I know others have issues with metal in the water so they use something to get rid of that as well

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back