Axolotl sudden big eyes?

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Someone who bought a few Axies from me just noticed this change in her axolotls eyes, it pretty much happened over night. Is it normal? I know they all have different eye shapes and sizes but I want to make sure. This was last night.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 818
That swelling does indeed look abnormal from that angle. Perhaps it's an infection behind the eye..
Hopefully some others who may have dealt with this can comment. If it were my animal, I would probably remove it to a large tupperware and treat it with furan-2 antibiotic in the water. But if it didn't improve in a few days, I would take it to my vet.

It would probably be good to see some other photos from different angles as well.

It's actually only one eye, I thought it was both, she said she thinks she may have hurt it on a coral decoration..... I don't know?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 584
It looks worse! I hope he doesn't lose the eye. I'm still thinking antibiotic.... because of all that swelling, it looks like it's infected. I guess it could end up healing on its own, but I personally would treat it.

Can I start off with saying omg that is the most beautiful axolotl color I have ever seen? Wow!

But the problem eye does look a lot worse than in the first pictures...Would it be possible to tell if the area around the eye and the eye itself look more red than normal? more red could indicate an injury and probably swelling from the injury...if not then probably an infection right? either way should it be separated and fridged to maybe reduce swelling?

Sorry I don't want to give the wrong advice and I feel like everyone says to fridge for everything but cooling the potential injury down would reduce the swelling right? and if it is bacterial or anything else then it would slow the spread wouldn't it?

I would take it to a vet . If possible I would ask for the vet practice email so that the vet can see first. They can then consult an 'exotics' vet for advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back