So I have a dilemma...

allied123

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going away out of state for about a week and I have a couple choices of what to do with 2 little 6 inch juvies while I'm gone.

I can either take them with me (a 12 hour drive one way and then straight back a week later!) where I know they would be well taken care of to the best of my abilities ( cool enough and fed enough).

I could also take them on a shorter 6 hour drive where a family member would do their best to keep them cool enough (still being in florida in the middle of summer) but I'm not sure if they would really eat enough or be fed like the spoiled brats they are. (and I really don't expect them to really clean the poop or anything so the water will probably sit dirty for several several days)

And my final choice would be to leave them here where they are with family who may (probably will but I know my little babies will not be a priority.) keep them cool and may drop them some pellets while I'm gone but again the geniuses have to be fed just right or they don't eat. Also any poop cleaning up almost definitely won't be done and will have to dirty the water until I get back to change it a full 7 days later. (I was also thinking of getting some feeder guppies from the petstore but haven't ever done that before, I do have enough time to keep them separate and watch for disease but I don't know if my guys would understand, I haven't fed them live food before)

any suggestions or comments or questions would be a huge help! :D

Re: So I have a dilema...

Is their tank fully cycled? If it is it wouldn't be that big of a deal if their poop wasn't cleaned everyday if you leave them home. That way they also wouldn't be stressed by moving. They can also go 7 days without eating if they're that picky, but probably they will eat once they get really hungry. As long as you're sure their temperature will be ok while you're gone, I'd leave them at home.

A 12 hour ride is pretty long. Are you sure you can keep their water cool enough during that? They'd also be stressed because their water would be moving and splashing all that time. And right when they got over that stress they'd have to go through it all over again.

I'd forget the second option right away if you're not even sure their water would be changed. Plus they'd be stressed from the move.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back