Axie with damaged arm

sliemm

Reaction score
Country
Australia
34283-img-20140716-200500

Hi

As you can see in the photo above my axolotl has a damaged arm - it's extremely red and ragged, with what looks like a little chunk out at the elbow. He's with another axolotl who's bigger and they've gotten on fairly well for over 2 years now, but the other one has attacked this one occasionally.

I'm not sure however whether this is a case of another attack, or a disease. I'm thinking the former but I can't be sure - does anyone know of any axolotl diseases that would give these symptoms? He isn't using the arm at all when he swims.

It's an attack I guess my only option is to separate them or get a bigger tank to give them more room - is this correct?

Thanks.

OK, so photo above isn't working for some reason so you can see it at http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/sliemm/albums/eric-ernie-my-axolotls/34283-img-20140716-200500/

Looks like a bite injury - yes the best course of action is to separate them. Separate tanks or a divider - both will work.

As for recovering, the standard rule applies - keep cool and feed worms!

The fact that it's a bite is kind of reassuring, as I'm banking on it healing. My only problem is I don't have a separate tank nor a divider. My first chance to buy both or either is five days away, so fingers crossed no more attacks occur.

Thanks for the advice.

Actually, I managed to find a large, wide plastic tub last night and I've put the rogue axie (Ernie) in there, so the attackee (Eric) can have some space and heal up.

I'll keep Ernie in there for a few weeks I think - in the meantime I'll buy a bigger aquarium, fill it, cycle it and get the biofilter going before I reintroduce them both. Hopefully some solitary confinement will have convinced Ernie he needs to get along with his buddy :tongue:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back