Question: Can Axolotls choke? Swimming problems?

blushed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jessica
I just fed both of my juvie axxies a worm each.

My bigger axxie, ate a worm a little shorter than the length of her body, and she's having no issues.

My smaller axxie (the same age as her, just hasn't really grown - got a toe injury so I'm sure that slowed down his growth even more) ate one about less than half of his length, and ate it happily, but is now having problems swimming it seems... He seems like his head is heavy.

Is there something wrong?
Or should I just keep an eye out on him and see what happens?
I really hope he isn't choking.

This was their first worm each, and since he hasn't really grown I found the smallest worm I could find...
I just wanted to make sure he was getting nutrition...
:confused:

Thanks for any and all help!

This is their current set up, and sizes as of yesterday night...
145313d1405487877t-what-would-you-do-5cf92b8c-85ba-4acf-bbb8-98cbedd0f4ee_zps9pkbn1t5.jpg

145315d1405487879t-what-would-you-do-b1e62faa-e233-4993-84ea-5c181ecc04f5_zpsq4krs6ii.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like he's fine...

Hopefully it stays that way...

Kinda sad that not one person commented on this, or even tried to give me an answer, I read all the similar threads, none seemed to fit my axxies behavior, so thank you for all of the info you provided me with when I was scared that my axolotl was on the verge of death! :rolleyes:

If you require a guaranteed and timely response concerning the well-being of your axolotl, you should employ the services of your exotics veterinarian.

Jessica, you posted a problem then shortly after posted that everything was OK.

In your search you should have come across posts saying axies don't choke because they don't breathe the same way air breathers do, and lots of pictures of axies with thei heads down snuffling for food.

And when you consider this is an international forum and that at any given time approximately 1/3 of our members are asleeep, another 1/3 are at school or work, that only leaves 1/3 available to comment - and not all of those are glued to the forum waiting to pounce immediately for every problem posted. As Elise said, if you're that worried contact a vet.

You will also find being more specific about any problems you have helps a lot - saying he's "having trouble swimming" is pretty vague, as with "head seems heavy".

Jessica, you posted a problem then shortly after posted that everything was OK.

In your search you should have come across posts saying axies don't choke because they don't breathe the same way air breathers do, and lots of pictures of axies with thei heads down snuffling for food.

And when you consider this is an international forum and that at any given time approximately 1/3 of our members are asleeep, another 1/3 are at school or work, that only leaves 1/3 available to comment - and not all of those are glued to the forum waiting to pounce immediately for every problem posted. As Elise said, if you're that worried contact a vet.

You will also find being more specific about any problems you have helps a lot - saying he's "having trouble swimming" is pretty vague, as with "head seems heavy".

I do realize that not everyone is available at all time, but I do realize that multiple users READ my posts but NOBODY responded. I do realize that...

I don't think saying that "he's having trouble swimming because his head seems heavy" is very vague... It was like his head was a rock, and he couldn't move it. And other, much more experienced axxie owners, would probably know these symptoms, or something close, and would be able to at least ask a couple questions, or even GUESS? Am I wrong?

And, yes, I realize that I posted that he seems fine, but someone could have said something.

I also kept reading, and I do know that axxies can regurgitate food, so I was just worried because he was so small.

Seems like people pounced onto my post after the fact, but didn't offer advice or help when I was worried. I applaud you for that.

I thought that I could join this forum for support and advice about my axolotls when needed, even if it wasn't immediate.

And, for the record, I have two different exotic vets I could contact, but they don't see axolotls very often, but have dealt with them. I usually like person experience from owners, as opposed to a vet who only sees the problems, doesn't experience the problems.

Guessing is not always a good thing to do and can make situations worse if incorrect treatment is offered as a result. I assumed all was good and advice was no longer needed given you had posted that everything is ok. This forum is amazing but no forum should be solely relied upon for guaranteed timely responses and veterinary care should be sought if you are worried about your axolotl.

2 minutes ago there were 320 people viewing the forum, 29 of which were registered users.
Of those 29 members listed I recognised 2 names in addition to mine that are active and reputable on the axie forum, no moderators, no administrators, no vets or contributors. Unregistered guests are included in the count of who has viewed your post.

So for every 100 that people view a post you can assume that maybe one person will have something useful to contribute - not surprising then if you don't get an immediate response.

Don't get defensive Jessica, there is plenty of support here on the forum, but it can take some time for the right people to find your post and comment. And as Skudo said, bad advice can be more damaging than no advice at all. And there are a lot of people who will read a post and then go away and do some research before they respond.

If you went ahead and did your own research then great - it proves this forum works, and that historical threads provide valuable information to our members. And yes, I am in complete agreement that the experience of our members is sometimes far more useful than the input from a vet.

I am surprised that nobody mentioned the size differences between your axolotls, the smaller one is nor far off being a snack for the bigger one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back