Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I think my tank is cycled?

k9srgr8

Reaction score
Hello folks,
I'm back with more questions cuz I don't want to screw anything up.
I have two 5-6 month old axolotl's that have been living in a 10 gallon tank with daily water changes while my 29 gallon tank cycled. It was sitting for >8 weeks with the ammonia method and not going anywhere so I cleaned it out and changed the filter media to one that had been steeping in my established 55 gallon tank for 3 weeks. I also added a loach and an oto cat to try to get the cycle going... they were in there for about a month. earlier this week, the bigger of the 2 axies bit off the other's leg. It had been recommended to me in the past to cycle the tank with the axolotl's in it but I was hesitant since I am new at this. However, in light of the fact that I was unable to seperate them in the 10 gallon, I decided to put the bigger of the 2 into the uncycled tank and just be diligent about checking the water. Last night (24hrs post axie introduction) I checked the water and the ammonia was at .25 ppm. I didn't check the other values and did a 25% water change. Tonight, the ammonia was 0, the Nitrites were 0, and the Nitrates were somewhere between 0 and 5ppm... the best I an describe is it was yellow with an orange hew.
So my questions are:
1. Can I put axolotl #2 in the tank if I continue to moniter or should I give it a few days to make sure the cycle is reallly established?
2. Should I seperate them in the bigger tank or will they be okay with more space?
Thanks in advance!

FireFinch

Reaction score
I would personally wait a few more days to ensure that the cycle is done. I'm fairly new to the world of caudata and I'm more of a fishkeepers, and it has happened once or twice that I was so sure the cycle was done, plopped in fish, and realised a few days later my ammonia was climbing. It's better safe than sorry, eh? :happy:

keiko

Reaction score
If the axie #2 has just lost a limb I'd keep it in a separate tank where you could change as much water as needed to keep the water perfect. That will help him heal and regenerate the limb. Personally I wouldn't be sure the cycle is ready and would keep testing it for a week or so to be sure. Even if the cycle is ready adding another axie in there might set off the balance for a little while because the bioload is bigger than what the cycle is used to.

I'd say the biting was because of the small space. So they'll probably be fine in the bigger tank. Ofcourse it's good to keep an eye on them just to be sure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1