Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Can I have 4 Axies in this tank?

Equus

Reaction score
I have a 40 gallon show tank with 3 Axolotls in it now. I was originally going to have 2 tanks, but I would rather save the room, so I am considering putting my other "keeper" in with the other 3 when she is a bit bigger. The tank is about 3 feet x 1 foot and 2 + feet deep. I realize this might be a bit tight, but all my hides have flat roofs so they have more spots to sit, and I was considering adding an under water shelf to one short side, so they could sit up there as well (about 1/3 way up so they can still swim all around.

I am hoping experienced Axie owners and tell me if they think this will be to small of an area. I don't want any fighting.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I would say it's too small for 4 axies - althoough 40G would suggest it's big enough for 4 it's deep rather than long, and based on floor area it's not.

allied123

Reaction score
sorry to but in but I think they mean it's 3 feet long and 2 feet wide and 1 foot tall? maybe I'm mistaken but that would be 6 square feet would that be okay?

keiko

Reaction score
With that floor area I'd say 3 axies is the max.

JustKenna

Reaction score
If they arent full grown i think it would be ok but i think the general rule for adults is 2 square feet for one axie and add 1 square foot for each additional axie

Bette

Reaction score
I currently have 4 adults in a 30 long with no issues. Mind you, I do small, frequent water changes and suck poo regularly. Two appropriately sized filters running as well, with live plants and hides. Also, I make sure that I keep them all well fed on red worms and pellets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!