Question: Beach Rocks and rinsing

ciele02

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I found some really amazing volcanic rocks at the beach last weekend that are PERFECT for my Axie tank. I currently have the siting in my bathtub filled with water to rinse salt from and have changed water every couple of days, but I was just wondering how long i should rinse them before putting them in with my Axies. Is a week long enough or should it be longer? any ideas? :happy:

I know axolotls are really sensitive to water quality but when I used to have beta fish I found shells at the beach and was told to boil them in water for several minutes and after that I put them in the tank and the beta fish was totally fine. I suggest waiting for some other people to answer and double check me on that but I know rinsing alone will not get rid of the sand, salt, and other things from being on the beach

LOL...all my rocks are too big to boil...i guess i can do multiple baths with just hot water...Thank you for the reply

I hosed a bunch of them in a bucket for 5 minutes in my backyard, and put them in my tank a year ago.

No harm came of it at all.

I don't think you need to soak or boil them, they're only rocks with a bit of salt on them that will rinse off.

You could slowly pour boiling water on them, making sure to get into all the crevices and such. That would be better than just soaking. If it were me, I would do that several times to make sure I removed as much "beach" as possible. I have done this many times for my aquariums and reptiles, with things that were too big to boil.

I think the hot baths sound like the best thing :) not that I would really know what's best but I think it airs on the safe side and a thorough rinse might do the trick but hot water sounds safer to me

hey guys, Thanks heaps for the responses. I'll give it a go with the hot water. I have an ion filter as well as external canister filter so i should be right. The ion filter is pretty amazing so im sure it should take care of any beach 'leftovers' .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back