Help?!

Bradsnow

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm new to owning an axolotl and I was wondering if he's okay because all he does is crawl and he does it very slowly. I know they are bottom feeders but he doesn't swim at all, I've never seen him swim yet. He just crawls along the bottom all day. Is this okay?

How old is the axolotl? Juvenile axolotls tend to be more active but as they grow into adults they become les active and are generally lazy in nature. What are the parameters - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and temperature? What is he being fed? Sorry for the questions. There may be nothing to worry about but it is always good to rule out anything.

He's young. He's only 3 months old and I'm not quite sure what the levels are but I have a filter on my tank and do 30% water changes every week. Andddd get my water from the local aquarium where I bought him just to make sure my water is perfect. I also feed him frozen bloodworms and his apatite isn't bad, he's always ready to eat haha

I recommend getting a liguid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH and you should also have a thermometer so can monitor water quality regularly. Is your tank cycled? Getting water from the local aquarium unfortunately does not guarantee the water quality in your tank is going to be perfect as a result. Is he showing any signs of stress at all (such as gills curved forward or tail curled)?

This behavior seems normal.
Axolotls are bottom dwellers.
If it was frequently swimming, I will begin to worry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back