Changing colour?

AnnaBingham

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Anna Bingham
My tank is in my bedroom and I've noticed that if i ever get up in the night and have to turn the bedroom light on, my light wildtype seems to be a different colour than in the day time.
Hes usually a kind of greeny colour (added a photo), but when the light comes on at night he looks almost a pale yellow colour like a completely different axie!
I just wondered if axies can change colour when they are in complete darkness?
Hes always normal colour in the mornings so seems to be when i suddenly turn the light on. I sat and watched him last night and over about 5-10 minutes he went back to normal. I have 2 other wildtypes that dont do this but theh are alot darker.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 133
It's unusual to see flushing in a wildtype, but in a pale one it's obviously visible!
It's probably similar to when albinos and leucistics flush when they are active and turn much paler when asleep or quiet.

And he is gorgeous (even if I do say so myself)!

My wild type's under side changes color from almost white to different shades of grey. Her top side is very dark so you can't really see changes in that color though.

Attachments

• 2014-06-13 22.57.21.jpg
    2014-06-13 22.57.21.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back