Skin peeling and raw looking on legs

tumptyteapot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, one of my axies (I have 2) has raw and peeling patches on his legs. They are 6 inch long axies and had a fight earlier this year but this is the one who bit the legs off the other one. (They have grown back and she is fine)
The water is a bit warm and I'm worried that if it is not a fighting wound it's a skin infection.
I've changed a quarter of the tank and added a bit more water in an attempt to keep it cooler, any ideas appreciated.

it would really help if we could see a picture also I'm sure someone who knows more than me will ask you to post your water parameters to rule those out as a possible cause, and yes warm temperature can help fungus grow, so they'll probably ask exactly what your temperature is

Thank you! I don't have a water testing kit.
Temp is 25 and he is in the corner, looking his normal grumpy self but I can't get a clear shot of his legs. I'll post a picture as soon as I can. Going to do a partial water change today as well, to get some cooler water in there if nothing else.

25 is a bit more than warm and he is more prone to illness at current temperatures. 20 should be the maximum with the mid teens being ideal. A picture would still be good to see the body condition and extent of the peeling.

The number one cause of skin isues in axies is water quality issues - you really need to get a testing kit. It might seem like a lot of money (£20-30), but the kits last for ages.

Adding cooler water will not really help though, your axie may become stressed due to the sudden change in temperature, and in the current heatwave it will soon warm up. Invest in an aquarium fan - it will take your temp down by about 4C.

10494869_597562573694870_3172020171794807909_n.jpg

I bribed him out with a worm. His front leg looks red and he isn't using his hand like the other, it looks damaged.

If you can replace the lid with a mesh lid that will stop the cats getting in and will also help cool the tank in conjunction with the fans. I would avoid a metal lid as they can sometimes rust. I have some nylon mesh bought from my local fabric store and I have attached rods on either side to keep it in place and it just sits over the top with the rods on each side which help keep it in place. I will get a photo and post it. You might find something that works a bit better though. The last link you posted for fans looks like a similar thing to mine and should help. Definitely invest in a testing kit. You want a liquid test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH. They are a bit expensive but they last for ages and so important in monitoring water quality.

Thanks. I'll get the fan and a testing kit now so it should be here tomorrow or the next day and I'll buy mesh today.

Here are a couple of photos of the lid on my tank. You can probably find something a bit more aesthetic but just to show what I have. I will probably make a more stylish version at some point but it does the job for the moment.

Attachments

• mesh2.jpg
    mesh2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 249
  • mesh3.jpg
    mesh3.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 221
I have the 4x fans from Amazon - brilliant.

That looks more like an injury though, like he got it caught between 2 ornaments/pots/rocks and scraped it. Treament is the same - cool clean water, worms and observation for infection. Tea baths may help soother if it's sore.

That's brilliant, thank you. The fan is on the way, I didn't realise it was so hot in the tank until I noticed his leg, that has taught me a lesson!
I've never taken him out of the tank so I'm a bit nervous of tea baths, though I have another tiny tank he could go in if needed.

Just wanted to mention he looks a bit thin to me- if he'll take it, you might want to offer food a bit more frequently. Healing takes a lot of energy, and growing axies already have a pretty high metabolism, which is elevated even more in warm temperatures. Good luck! Hope he's feeling better soon. :happy:

yep, I agree, he is eating and I'll make sure he gets more worms. thank you

Thanks everyone, just an update - the fan came today and the temp is already down to 23, both axies are underneath it, basking in the airflow.
He is eating but not at his normal greed. I'm chopping up worms for him so he doesn't have to battle them because he gave up on a big one the other day. He is looking ok otherwise though, feathers are nice and frilly, he's moving ok and his legs look better. I'm doing small water changes daily (fish shop said water was ok) and giving them bloodworms as an alternative food.
Any ideas to help him eat more would be appreciated. I'm hoping that once the water cools down some more it will be easier for him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back