3 neglected axies need some advice please (graphic photos)

ghozt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have 4 healthy axoltols, so I'm not unused to caring for them and their needs etc..
but came across these 3 on eBay (pics below) in such a bad state i couldn't leave them so rescued them they'd been left in a house after their owners moved out, the present owner didn't know when they'd been last fed or changed, as I was getting them out of their tank i noticed they were in with what i presume were some kind of catfish about 5" long brown with whiskers.
two out of the three i'm not overly concerned with I think unless there's any internal issues, then they just need to get used to being fed
I'm using the little and often technique at first so as not to overload their systems the two bigger ones are eating fine so far
r2jc5k.jpg
33agqqv.jpg

It's this little one that's causing the most concern, he has eaten but only a few bloodworms, i did try him with a very small chopped up earthworm he took it but later threw it back up again, from what I can see it looks like at some point all 4 of his limbs have been eaten away and he has what appears to be a bone sticking out of his back right side now (the others seem to be regenerating ok, but this one could have been more recent i don't know
2ileg04.jpg
aa8y0m.jpg

I know it's touch and go for him and I know it's going to take a lot of hard work and tlc to
get him back but is there any advice anyone can offer on how to get the little one
kickstarted into eating at least so he's got some energy to help regenerate himself

Re: 3 neglected axies need some advice please

OMG I nearly cried.
How is that last one still alive? I would not hold my breath for that one...
I think you're right, little and often with the food, scrupulous checking of water and lots of TLC.

Good luck, and please let us know how they are getting on.

My God, I've never seen an axie in shape like that. Poor, poor thing! TBH, I would have that little one euthanized.
I don't understand how people can just desert their pets like that. I admire your efforts in helping these guys.

I can't believe how cruel people can be. Those are some tough little axies to even still be alive. I think right now it doesn't even matter much if the last one will only eat blood worms as long as you can get him to eat something and not throw up. I'd just let him eat those several times every day and then start offering earth worms as he gets stronger.

the little one has refused bloodworms all day today, tried him a couple of hours ago with a small piece of cut up prawn from the tweezers and he snapped it up and so far he's kept that down.
I'm guessing the earthworm is too much for his little system to take as i can't say for sure but i'd be surprised if this one has ever seen live food or any food at all looking at him

Wow, that picture really shocked me! The first two look Ok(ish), hopefully recover really well after some decent meals. I really hope the small one pulls through :( Keep offering food, I hope it eats! Poor little thing!

Oh gosh that is so heartbreaking, and what a kind heart you have taking those 3 sweeties on. I'm sure they will be ever thankful to you!

I've never seen anything like the 3rd axxie either, but I do hope that with your efforts he can at least live out the rest of his days in a good, loving home, even if he doesn't make it.

I'm assuming since the sellers had no idea when their last meal/water change was that the cat fish or other axxies may have decided to turn the weakest into their meal. And you really can't blame them.

I wouldn't have the heart to euthanize it, but if he doesn't seem to be doing any better within a few weeks I would probably consult with an exotic vet just to get a professional opinion, although Caudata usually offers the best advice.

I wish you, and your three new sweeties the best of luck, and will be watching for updates on them!

Unfortunately I think the last little one is unlikely to recover from this. The other two should be fine with daily feeding, ideally with earthworms.

seeing that last guy makes me want to cry. it's worse than those stupid aspca commercials with the sad song begging for money that doesn't even help those poor animals. seeing that little guy made that horribly sad music play in my head and tears well up in my eyes. I realize the chances of him surviving this are slim but I wish and hope for the best please do keep us updated and do any of them have names? I feel like (gulp :cry:) if the worst happens we'd all like to say rest in peace properly for the little guy....

:,( that was very shocking seeing the last one! I would not be holding a lot of hope for the little one. He is extremely emaciated :(.

Sounds like he is in good hands though so hoping for the best. Do keep us posted.

OMG!!!! I am SO glad you found them!!! I agree, even if he last one doesn't pull through, at least he will be loved and cared for!! But, I'm an optimist, so I'm thinking good thoughts!!! Hopefully the prawns will do the trick to get his appetite up and running!!!

I will be watching anxiously to see how it goes!!!

How are these 3 getting on? Have they been eating much?

the two bigger ones are eating fine so far, chopped up fine earthworms 3 times a day to gradually build them up
the little one was struggling but I've now introduced him to live bloodworms and he seems to be able to keep 2-3 of those down at a time, without regurgitating them so fingers crossed he may just defy all the odds (I'm an optimist as well)

the two bigger ones are eating fine so far, chopped up fine earthworms 3 times a day to gradually build them up
the little one was struggling but I've now introduced him to live bloodworms and he seems to be able to keep 2-3 of those down at a time, without regurgitating them so fingers crossed he may just defy all the odds (I'm an optimist as well)

Glad to see that he is keeping food down.

I'd rather him be fed instead of starving to death...

I'm rooting for them! And you!

I am so glad to hear he is keeping something down!! His system must be in shock right now!! Hopefully frequency will be the key in building him up a little bit!!! I am pulling for him!!!!! I would LOVE to see him get better!! All of them actually, but this one needs the most cheerleaders right now!

Please keep us updated!! I know I am keeping a constant eye out for news!

With you on this one. Getting ready to travel to a wedding but had to have a quickcheckfor updates on the little guy.

I'm Ghozts other half. So far the little guy is managing live blood worms off the tank floor but prefers to suck em up straight out of the syringe. The bone that was his back leg has come away now and left a really clean looking stump which is great and we're hoping the new leg will take it's place without too many problems. Still emaciated but eating little bits through out the day so fingers crossed :)
All 3 have such amazing personalities, even the little guy which is great considering all they've been through.
These are pics of 2 of them taken this morning.
10522406_10152599352964791_8043511577694377410_n.jpg

10524371_10204355777517049_4359523772554346705_n.jpg

Aieeee :(

You're both lovely.

update on all 3 progress the two larger ones are doing fine, appetites like young teenagers lol, and pooing is now a lot more regular
the really poorly one has significantly picked up as well this was him/her at breakfast time this morning
View My Video
(the links to a video of him/her on tinypic it's quite safe)

That's so wonderful!! I am so glad he's still hanging in there!! This baby truly deserves to recover and live a wonderful spoiled life!!!!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back