Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Floating

Silver5101

Reaction score
I have 3 Axolotls, my tank currently has .5 ammonia but I have used Ammolock and am working on bringing it down. My wild type is currently sitting at the top of the tank but the other two are on the bottom. I don't know if there is something or I'm just overworrying. Help or advice please?

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I wouldn't use ammolock. water changes will always be the best way to immediately remove ammonia or anything else from the water. Axolotls spend a good portion of their time at the bottom but it's not uncommon for one to float near the top. If it becomes days where it's obvious that it can't go down on its own then it might be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver5101

Reaction score
I'm only using ammolock to help stop it and not become toxic, I'm still doing 50% water changes. If it helps I have a whisper 20i filter for my 20 gallon long tank. I've been feeding twice a day mostly but since the ammonia build up has been happening I reduced it to once.

keiko

Reaction score
I don't know what Ammolock is like but in general it isn't adviced to use any extra chemicals with axolotls or other amphibians. They absorb stuff through their skins so chemicals can be very toxic to them.
Like Boomsloth said daily water changes are the best way to keep ammonia down if your tank isn't sully cycled yet.

keiko

Reaction score
Oh and about the floating... Sometimes they just like to hang out near the surface, but if it seems that they can't get to the bottom even if they try or if there seems to be air in their belly then it's good to remove them from the tank to their own tub with just enough water to cover them. Air bubbles usually pass in a few days.

rachel1

Reaction score
If it is the liquid ammolock product, it works the same as Prime and is safe. It ionizes ammonia (NH3) into the less toxic form ammonium (NH4+). Ammonium will be utilized by the biological filter in the same way as ammonia, but with lower risk of damage to the animals. You should absolutely keep doing large daily water changes, but I see nothing wrong with using this or Prime in conjunction with water changes to reduce risk of harm to the animals, especially if attempting a fish in cycle. The ammo chips, which go in the filter, will bind to ammonia until they are full, and will make the ammonia unavailable to your filter bacteria, so I would not recommend that product for a healthy balanced tank. Also you are likely to have ammonia spikes when the filter chips have reached their saturation point and no longer bind any ammonia.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1