New here and to Axolotls.

Nyxx

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all! In the past week I've received an axolotl due to a friend moving out of state. Let me give you a bit of background on me...
I've never had Axolotls before but I do have several tanks. 1 55gal goldfish tank, 1 75gal oscar tank and 3 betta tanks. So I do know a bit about fish keeping just not axolotl keeping.

Now for the axolotl I have. She is a girl, I've named her medusa (not relivent but fun to know), I'm not sure how old she is. She was being kept in a 10gal aquarium that wasn't filled to the top with water. I've heard some people keep them this way?? Well since getting I've upgraded her to a 30gallon tank with a hob filter. I'm using some water bottles to baffle the filter so I hope she isn't getting too much water current. Ive been feeding her a combination of frozen blood worms, a night crawler, and most recently some red worms (I like the size of these much better than the night crawlers. In the past all she was fed was a cube of brine shrimp every few days. I know she is a little older so feeding every other day is correct right?
I do water changes in my oscar tank every week so I plan on doing the same for medusa, their tanks are in the same room so it works out well. Sorry I'm still waking up so I'm trying to tell you guys all the info you may need to see if there is anything I'm doing wrong or whatever.

So her current set up is a 30us gal tank, with sand substrate, a few hiding places and some river stones bigger than her face. She also has a whisper hob I forget exactly what it is but it's for at least a 55. I've cut and taped water bottles around the outflow to baffle the water.
The tank is also filled with water.
So how am I doing? Any comments are welcomed please!

Also I felt this felt best in the intro section but if I'm incorrect please let me know :)

Sounds like a good start to me! Welcome aboard.

Stick with earthworms - best for axie and probably cheapest in the long run. Every other day is fine if she is fully grown.

Please pop over to the axlotl section and post some pics, do some reading, ask questions etc.

Thanks will do!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back