Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand substrate

Ace

Reaction score
I am using sand in my Axolotl tank. I bought play sand from the local Home Depot. I rinsed the sand well and put it into the bottom of the tank. When I filled the tank with water the sand stirred up badly, just as expected. The problem is that it has been about 3 days since I put the water in the tank and the tank is still very cloudy. Is this normal? Will the sand always cloud up the tank like this when it is stirred up a little?

I am afraid to leave my sponge filter running too long as I don't want to damage anything.

keiko

Reaction score
When pouring water in the tank don't pour it straight on the sand. Use a rock/plate/hide to break the water fall and it won't make the water as cloudy. The cloudiness will go away over time and in future it won't be as bad. The filter will help make it go away so just keep it on. You can also do a water change to get some of it out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1