Photo: Setting up a new tank

cerelin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm working on a tank to home an axolotl when it's all ready. Right now it's cycling, so I have some time to fine tune the set up. It looks like this right now:

IMG_20140727_112250134_zpsur2iffzq.jpg

IMG_20140727_112310395_HDR_zpsb3f1eywy.jpg

IMG_20140727_112336821_zpstplsneqe.jpg

I'll be getting a new filter for it, because I was supposed to be able to adjust the outflow of water on this one, only to find out that I couldn't once I had set it up. Even with a new one, I was thinking of trying the water bottle trick to help diffuse the outflow.

As you can see, one of the sides of the tank faces the window in my room. I was thinking of painting that side black because I read that direct sunlight can bother axies.

I'm also considering replacing that nice river rock with another hide, and plan to add more fake plants and a bubble wall.

Thoughts?

You might want to think about just setting something against the side of the tank instead of painting it, can't really change your mind about that once you do it. If you're really interested in a new filter or putting a water bottle in front,I used a string of rubberbands and used them to attach a water bottle to the front of the filter and it works really well to block the flow. I can attach a picture if that's not making any sense lol it's not the most beautiful thing but it gets the job done

I'd be using puff paint which comes off glass surprisingly easily. Though I suppose it would be much easier just to tape some black paper to the side, heh.

I think I caught your drift but any pictures would be appreciated! Thanks for your input/feedback :3

I paint the back of my tanks. It looks awesome. If I ever want to change it, a razorblade will do. :)

Puff paint is a great idea! I didn't even think about puff paint! And yeah sorry lol I'm not very good at explaining things, I attached several rubber bands in a line and put the line around behind the filter then stuck a water bottle through the last two rubber bands.

Sorry picture didn't work

Attachments

• IMAG0372.jpg
    IMAG0372.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 207
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back