Cloudy tank water

FungalZombie

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there my roomie and I just got a newt the other day but our water has turned murky and white. I'm scared for the health of the little newt. He's living with two coreys, and about three or four guppies. He used to live with a lot more in the pet store.
So what should I be doing to make sure our new little friend doesn't die? We're very worried.

We have axolotls in perfectly good tanks, but I'm not sure if a newt and an axie should be housed together, even temporarily.

Also our newt friend is a paddletail.

You need to desperate the newt from the corydoras asap, cory catfish have sharp spines on their pectoral and dorsal fins which could be fatal if the newt tries to swallow them. The guppies wont do any harm, but will slowly vanish as the newt picks them off one by one.
The cloudy water sounds like a bacterial bloom. These can happen in tanks that aren't yet fully cycled, you really need to test the water for ammonia and nitrite, the results will tell you how far along the cycling process is. To begin with you will most likely have to do lots of small water changes to keep the levels in check, but once the tank cycles these can be less frequent and the cloudyness will disappear. Hope this helps. :)

Hi thanks, sorry for the late response, the water is much better now.
Just wondering what is a good cleaning fish for the tank?
We don't mind that the guppies are being eaten, it's why we have them.

Unfortunately most cleaning fish are in the catfish family, this means that they have spines as a defence that can damage the throat and mouth of newts if they try to swallow one.
The only safe cleaners are shrimp and snails, I have these in all my tanks and they are a fantastic clean up and algae eating crew.
If it's the algae that's a problem you could just clean the front glass of the tank and let it grow in areas that are less visible.The algae will take much longer to cover the front again.

Okay!
I'll talk to my roomie about the cleaners. They're much bigger than the newt's head but I still worry. We do have some snails, and they are bigger than the newt's head also.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back