Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Leonard jumped!

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Leonard jumped out of the tank! Usually he is in a 40 with hood but I needed it temporarily so I moved him to a smaller one for now in the basement, has no lid but I thought the water level was low enough. My husband noticed him missing earlier today and didn't tell me! He thought I just moved him. When he mentioned it I ran to the basement to find him curled up on the carpet under a table about 2 feet away, he looks terrible! I was positive he was dead but he's alive and was moving quite a bit when I returned him to water, he doesn't appear to have any injuries other then the fact his skin was really dry and red, like a sunburn. I put him in the fridge but I don't know what else I can do?! Any tips, anything to make him feel better? It's possible he's been out a full 24 hours! I'm freaking here, I feel so bad for him, I pray he makes it.

keiko

Reaction score
Clean cool water, stress-free environment, plenty of worms if he wants to eat and maybe try some indian almond leaves. And keep a close eye on any infections.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Poor Leonard!
He should recover, axies can survive out of water for a while, but as you've discovered it dries them out.

Cool clean water, maybe a tea bath (never underestimate the power of a good cuppa!), worms and some TLC. If fungus develops try indian almond leaves or Melafix instead of salt - it would be too irritating on already sore skin.

texa

Reaction score
This happened to one of my axies not too long ago as well. I found a tea bath and almond leaves helped soothe the wounds caused by contact with the floor.

I was surprised how quickly mine recovered, I'm sure Leonard will heal just as fast!

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
He passed away today. :( I'm so sad. I thought he was doing better, he was active, the redness was going away then he just died.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1