Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby axolotls

freddie1990

Reaction score
Hi i have some newly hatched axolotls i had two batches about a week from each other so about 2 weeks old, ive noticed that some of them are floating in the water none of them are dead and seem to be moving alot i do have an air stone with them that isnt really turned off could this be because of to much oxygen,

feeding on bbs and micro worms and doing water changes every other day or every day if it looks like it needs it any advise or is this normal behaviour cheers.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Airstones are stressful for little larvae, and they are very sensitive to water quality - turn your airstone off and up the water changes to daily.

Many larvae float - either because they have air bubbles in their gut or because they have just developed lungs and are enjoying the novelty of air. If they can't get back down to the bottom give them some weed to wedge themselves under and keep the water level low.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1