Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from West Cornwall

TeacherSi

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently setting up and 120l tank, with live planting for my Year 5 classroom. After initially wanting Fire-Bellied Toads, I changed my mind to Chinese FB Newts.

I want to create a larger swimming area than the toads would want and the newts seem to be more active than the toads. Also, I am very keen to create an environment that has a definite sub-aquatic zone and definite marginal zone.

I have redmoor soaking in a tub - taking far too long, but that's ok as my lighting unit has just failed, so I need to get that sorted anyway. The tank has been running for about 2 weeks (it was second-hand), and I have a large amount of java moss, java fern, milfoil, water lettuce, dwarf hairgrass and micro-sword. Some of these will be marginally planted (as well as aquatic). I'm planning on sowing clover/grass and planting parrots feather and a dwarf fern above water.
Currently, all the planting is happily sitting in bowls in the conservatory at the moment, whilst I get the lighting unit sorted. I'm hoping its just the flouresent starter unit - but more probably the ballast needs replacing.

I'm also intending to have a few cloud minnows in the tank. I think they will be too fast to become food - and I'm not too worried if they are eaten. I will be more concerned if they unnerve the newts though. And I'll remove them if the newts seem overly cautious.

Just got to source the newts!! Anybody have any ideas?
I know a shop which is selling juveniles - but I'm not sure that is a good idea. They're only about 4-5cm long...
I also have come across someone who is selling adults, but I would have to get them couriered - and that seems like a wholly stressful experience for the little fellas.

Anybody have thoughts on those (or other options)?

Thanks!

TeacherSi

Reaction score
Yes - Dartfrog was the shop I was referring to, and I can get them collected direct from there and brought to me (I have a friend who lives close by).

I guess my dilemma is, pay 4x the amount for an adult and have it couriered overnight - or buy juveniles?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Unless you're certain that the adults being offered are captive bred, I would recommend buying juveniles. They'll soon grow with a balanced diet and it's very rewarding to watch them develop and mature. If the adults available turn out to be wild collected you could be buying trouble from the off, they will be highly stressed and most likely sick as the capture/importation is a horrific experience for them and many die along the way or shortly after purchase. Hope this helps. :)

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
Yes as Chinadog said, don't get WC animals. If you don't want juveniles you could get a different species, P.waltl is a good species as well as T.verrucosus.

TeacherSi

Reaction score
Thank-you for the advice guys. I'll go with the juveniles then.
It's a great forum you have here, and I'll be visiting often - probably more to read-up rather than post. But I will post some pictures of the tank when it's finished cycling & ready - as it would be great to get some feedback and tips.
:happy:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're very welcome! The search function will find you most of the info you need to get going, but don't be afraid to ask questions, even if they seem silly. Cant wait to see pictures of your newts and their tank. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1