Shortage in Australia ??

Jack1234

Reaction score
Country
Australia
G'day,
I have been trying to buy some axolotls for my kids. Everywhere I go I am told that something has wiped most of them out in Australia. Is this the case, and what is the actual disease?

There is indeed a shortage due to some illness, but I'm not sure what disease it is.

There are 2 or 3 breeders here hoping to bolster the population, so hopefully in a few weeks there will be some juvies available.

Are you saying that axolotls from the UK are going to be shipped to Australia?

Regards Neil

No - breeders in Aus are raising babies - not sure an axie would survive the trip from here to there! (sorry for any confusion)

No - breeders in Aus are raising babies - not sure an axie would survive the trip from here to there! (sorry for any confusion)

I am going to try to offer axolotls to people in Australia.

Doesn't mean I'll be successful, but I'll give it a go.

There is absolutely no way Australia will allow imports of this kind of animal without huge fees.

I have no disease in mine (and they are from various places), but something big did happen in this country that all but wiped them out.

LFS's have all said the same thing...can't get them, won't stock them, things like that.

I think a large part of it is that people need to realize that if they want to own them in Australia they need a real chiller.

The population has probably been knocked back by the lack of chillers and due regard for the temp requirements for this species. If you follow this forum for a couple of years you will see loads of Australian axolotls " mysteriously " dying.........

The population has probably been knocked back by the lack of chillers and due regard for the temp requirements for this species. If you follow this forum for a couple of years you will see loads of Australian axolotls " mysteriously " dying.........

This is certainly a factor, but there was an actual disease that struck very suddenly causing all sorts of things like prolapses and sudden wasting away.

It hit the one main breeder in the country, and was subsequently shipped out to all the LFS's via their stock.

These animals have been in our country for at least half a century, this wasn't just due to our heat, but yes heat is a big issue here.

Not sure if this helps or not but I've been chatting to a few breeders and aquarium shop owners and they say the reason for the population to be so low is due to a congenital heart disease that got bred into them years ago, so after about a year old they stop eating and die unfortunately but people kept on breeding and selling them with this disease for years and now its pretty much the healthy ones that are left.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back