Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I have no idea what's wrong with my axolotl - please help

ChibiAxy

Reaction score
I have two axolotls that are a couple years old. One of the recently started displaying what looks almost like a skinned knee. On a couple of his legs, he has this red skinned look. He also seems more edgy (like things seem to startle him, such as my hand near the tank), isn't eating as much, and is floating at the top of the tank a lot. The other axolotl is completely fine and displaying none of these symptoms. Any advice on what it is or what to do? Thanks!

keiko

Reaction score
Maybe the other axolotl has been nipping on him? Or he's scratched himself on some rocks or ornaments?
You could try separating them. Other than that just clean cool water and juicy worms and he should heal just fine.

ChibiAxy

Reaction score
Here's some pictures of him if it helps.
sickaxy1.jpg

sickaxy2.jpg

sickaxy3.jpg

sickaxy4.jpg

keiko

Reaction score
Looks like it could be a bite. I'd separate them.

ChibiAxy

Reaction score
Okay, I'll try that. I never thought they'd start biting each other after living together for over two years.

HayleyK

Reaction score
They both look on the thinner side. Perhaps feed them more often and nutrious food (like earthworms!) and they may be less likely to snap. Snapping is seen more in juveniles but sometimes hungry axolotls can react to whatever moves hoping it's food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1