Worms

Nachtmare

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Trenton
So I am thinking about breeding my own earthworms for my axies. I will have two of them and was wondering would it be worth it to breed worms for only two axies.
And also if I was to go about breeding worms what is a good way to do that?

Thanks

Yes, definitely worth setting up your own worm farm. Auntiejude made a great post about worm farming under general information "everything you need to know about worm farming" I think it is called.

Yes....I second the motion for you to ask Auntie....I wonder if Auntie ever gets tired of answering the same questions about the same subject?.... I doubt it. If she is as kind to whomever she is an Auntie too, as she is kind to everyone here, she is probably their favorite auntie. She should be given the kind heart award. :angel:
I have suggested this before.....that we need a 'Sticky' or some type of permanent post of her tutorial of a how to---worm farm.

I recommend that you use the European Nightcrawler.

I don't think you can breed nightcrawlers in your basement. Other kinds of worms, yes.

See here, here, and here.

I mean you can... It's just not easy or produces a large amount of worms. I got night crawlers to breed but it was because I lowered the temp down and it was like I produced 3 worms after months of having them. Where my red wigglers have basically doubled their population every other week.

Red wigglers breed like crazy. I dug up around two dozens of those from my parents' farm a week or two ago and the box is already full of cocoons. Even though there is only maybe 2 inches of soil. Some axies might dislike red wigglers at first but they will learn to like them.

The word 'nightcrawler' gets confusing. Canadian nightcrawlers (lumbricus terrestris) won't breed in worm farm as the like deep cold soil. European nightcrawlers (esenia hortensis) breed slowly, red wrigglers (esenia fetida) breed best in a worm farm.

Thank you so much for the tips? and thanks to auntiejude for the tutorial. I will be looking at that in just a couple moments. Thanks again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back