Axolotl care ignorance in store

texa

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
So yesterday I visited a store in a chain of large garden centres which also sell pets. You may know which one I am talking about, and this particular one is in Milngavie, Glasgow.

They had a juvenile axolotl in a hugely overstocked tank of common goldfish, with a gravel substrate. It had no gill stalks, and was being continually harassed by the fish. I advised the staff that this was occurring, and was reassured it would be moved.

I went again today, the axolotl still being nipped at, and displaying a very disturbing behaviour of gulping and dry vomiting. I again told staff that it should be moved, and it was promptly whipped out in a net (no bag to acclimatise to new temperature) and put in the back room into what I can only presume is its own tank. I asked what they fed it, and they said frozen foods and 'small plecs'. So this axolotl may have been fed Otocinclus, but even if not, it was showing signs of having a blockage in the stomach or throat.

I am now in serious dilemma! I want to buy it and nurse it back to health, but also I don't want to create a demand for an animal that the staff have no idea how to care for. I also have a 125L tank with two fully grown lotls, and even once the little guy was healthy and ready to go into the main tank, I'm not sure there will be room for 3. What to do? I have written to the customer service, but am expecting an unhelpful response.

It makes me so angry that staff (especially in this particular chain) don't take the time to learn basic care requirements, and allow their animals to suffer!

That's awful. If you feel strongly about it, then I say go get it. You could always re-home it once it is nursed back to health. Or you could get another tank and keep it!

So, it seems like your tank is about 33 gallons. Depending on the ground area, it could work fine for three axolotls. Hopefully it is about 36 inches long?

If it's actually blocked with a spined fish, your chances of saving it are slim. I wouldn't pay retail price for a sick animal. Explain the situation, point out why the animal is sick, and offer to take it off their hands for free or at a significantly reduced price. That way they aren't profiting off poor animal care. I took on a deformed bearded dragon from a retail chain store for 1/4 the retail price, because I felt bad for him. They told me he would most likely be sent back to the "breeder" (and probably euthanized), if he didn't die in the back room first. A lot of places will work with you, as they're going to write it off as a loss anyways when it dies in their care. Hope that helps, and good luck!

I once read about a little boy walking along the beach and putting"beached"starfish back into the sea. His dad said why bother...you can't save all of them. The boy replied...to those that I can save I can make a difference. My point is that if you can....go for it.....even if you make it better for just one. Have seen the type of situation you describe...it's heartbreaking

Not to be harsh or sound heartless but the difference here is that by saving this one axie you put two more in the same position by creating demand....if you create a demand for a product that company WILL continue to supply that product BECAUSE there is that demand of you buying it... I agree 100% with rachel1

Yes you are right, logically what you say is true, but sometimes it's hard to walk away from a sad little face......I wish we had an answer

Thanks everyone, I do think I can help the wee thing but as has been said I would be loathe to create a demand for maltreated animals.

After I came home I remembered that I am going away for a week or so tomorrow, and that travelling with a poorly axolotl would only stress it further. I am going to call/write to the SSPCA in the meantime. I can only hope that while I'm gone that the axolotl is kept off sale in the back room, but this will only be until they've sold all their goldfish (and providing they don't just shove it back on sale anyway).

It does need help though, is there anyone on here in the area which may be able to do as rachel1 suggested and offer to take it off their hands (insist on no charge of course)? The garden centre is called Dobbies, and for those of you familiar with them I'm sure this story is of no surprise!

Just an update to the story!
I went back in yesterday and found the wee guy in his own 60L, on sand, feeding on bloodworms. He already seems better and isn't on sale. I was impressed the shop took on my suggestions so whole-heartedly, so I suppose it shows that immediately adopting a maltreated axie (unless very sick) may not be necessary if the shop will change their ways.
Hopefully he'll find a really good home once he's up to full health!

Ahh yeah - I've spoken to both the Milngavie and the Braehead one about this before - sounds like they went back to their old ways huh.

Glad you're standing up for the Glaswegian axolotl community!

Glad someone got a good result.
I visited a pet store today for some live food, and they had tiny, skinny little axies on gravel in tropical tanks. I asked the manager to get them into some cold tanks and get rid of the gravel, and pointed out one of the albinos with a stone in its belly, but I don't hold out much hope :(
This is the same chain that Cherleybambino comment on a short while ago, and I will be writing to their head office, offering free advice on axolotl care.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back