Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much to feed?

kcoscia

Reaction score
The usual question: How much and how often should I feed my lotls worms?

They are about 3 1/2 months old, between 4-5 inches long! (My babies are growing up so fast!)

They eat bloodworms twice a day now, but will be starting Canadian and European night crawlers tomorrow.

I know to cut the worms to be no longer than their head width, is that correct?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Depends on the size of the worm. A small worm may not need chopping at all, a large one may need chopping into lots of pieces.

Feed it once a day, as much as it will eat in one sitting (10-15 mins).

kcoscia

Reaction score
Alternating blood worms and earth worms these days. They're getting the hang of being vicious predator worm eaters ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1