Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White fuzzy substance all over tank.

chchchchipandda

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am currently still cycling my tank but there is white fuzzy stuff covering everything in there. The water temp is a constant 65 and the parameters of the tank are normal except the pH is high 8 to 8.2 and I have extremely hard tap water. You can see it best growing on the leaves of the plant. Thanks for your help

lCAqhPq.jpg

Fv5lAl4.jpg

rachel1

Reaction score
Just a guess, but maybe thread algae? Thread algae likes water with lots of iron. Or possibly some sort of fungus. Both are opportunistic and likely to pop up in a new tank until the more permanent residents set up camp. Try faster growing live plants- they should soak up the nutrients these guys are using to grow and outcompete them pretty quickly. A floating plant would be especially well suited for this in an axolotl tank. You can also pull out and clean the plant they are growing on, if it is an isolated problem.

chchchchipandda

Reaction score
Thank you! It is on part of the glass of the tank. I am going to try another plant and keep up on the frequent water changes. Hopefully as the tank cycles it will clear up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!