Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Small scale worm farming?

Nyxx

Reaction score
So eventually I want to set up a homemade worm farm. Like using a big rubber made container and using about 500 worms. But for right now, I can't do that. I was able to pick up two containers totaling 48worms so I'm wondering the best way to keep these worms fresh. I have a smallish plastic pot that I was trying to grow some ciliantro in. Could I take that, and using a heated pin poke a bunch of little holes in it and dump my two containers of worms in it dirt and all? I could probably even fit this in my fridge to keep them cool. Would this help them last longer or are they fine in the small containers they come in?

Nyxx

Reaction score
Soooo, anyone have any tips on keeping worms that are in the fridge longer and healthier? Like I mentioned would putting them in a smallish plant pot in the fridge help any?

Lol any help would be good :)

Last edited by a moderator:

rachel1

Reaction score
Mine last fine in the fridge in the container I buy them in. They have lasted a couple weeks easily, but these days they're disappearing a lot more quickly...I think I've reached my axolotl limit.

DiscusDream

Reaction score
You could just set up a container just like you would a worm farm......add some shredded paper, a little soil, something for them to eat and some damp newspaper on top. You could use something like a margarine tub or cool whip tub. Just put some holes in it for ventilation and keep it at room temperature. They should keep very well that way.

Nyxx

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for replying! One of these tubs last me a little over a week. Medusa was pretty underfed when I got her so I'm currently feeding her every day several a day. So I will probably set up something like you suggested discusdream.

@rachel1, this is my first axxie, and if I didn't have so many other fish tanks I'd probably be really looking into getting more!

DiscusDream

Reaction score
Haha!! I have seven tanks....one with turtles, one with frogs, one now with axolotls, and four with fish. And I am STILL looking to get more Axolotls.....LOL

I have my first two now. They are only about 4" long, but I am totally in love!!! I guess that's the reason we are all here, right??

Nyxx

Reaction score
Haha wow, I have 7 too! All of mine are fish though. But yep Axolotls are awesome! Medusa was a very unexpected adoption so I'm still learning as much as I can. I think I have her care covered pretty well, now it's just learning how to keep her food good and fresh. I'd like to start a larger 'worm farm' so I don't have to keep running to my local bait shop every week.

DiscusDream

Reaction score
I just dig mine up in my yard. We have a spot at the edge of our yard where we dump our grass clippings, and it is my go-to place for digging. I always find tons there! I haven't even tried digging anywhere else yet. But, when it rains, we always have a bunch on the driveway, so I'm sure there are plenty in other places in my yard!

I always just dig more than I need. Since my babies are still small, I use the little worms and put the big ones aside for the worm farm. That way, I will have some for winter time and still won't have to buy any. "Free" is my favorite price! LOL

Beth72201

Reaction score
A quick question regarding DiscusDreams post regarding worms. Worms are plentiful in driveways after a warm rain, but my question is this: is it not risky to pick these worms considering the possibility of them being contaminated with oil, antifreeze, or other chemicals that may drip from a car onto the driveway? I have avoided those worms for this reason.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I would not take worms from my garden for eactly that reason - and the fact that I can't guarantee my neighbours aren't using nasty chemicals in their gardens.

However, if you are keeping the worms for some time then any contamination will dissipate over time, so worms caught in spring/summer should be fine for feeding by winter.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Also remember that after it rains in a lot of areas, worms coming out are night crawlers so they will make great food but poor breeders.

DiscusDream

Reaction score
I don't pick up the ones from the driveway......I was just commenting that from the numbers we see on the driveway, that there must be plenty around our yard. I dig mine from the edge of our property, where we dump our grass clippings. It is at the edge of the woods, so no one is using any chemicals anywhere near it, and no run-off because it's the high spot of our area. We don't use fertilizers on our yard, so there are no chemicals in the grass clippings either. We have, and always have had, many animals, so we don't use things that could harm any of them directly or indirectly. We are very conscious of those things.

It is a very good point, though. Some people may not even think of things like that! Not that they wouldn't care, just wouldn't think of it. Hopefully people will read this and at least put some thought into where they dig their worms!!

allied123

Reaction score
Wow you guys read my mind I was thinking about picking up the worms I saw on the driveway after it rained i never even thought about all the nasties like oil and stuff from the car getting on them...definitely rethinking that now, thanks for mentioning it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1