New to Axolotls and plan on ordering some next week.

Kyle G

Reaction score
Country
United States
I already know quite a bit about the critters but i was just wanting some more information so anything you feel like I should know please let me know. As well as I have a couple of specific questions. What is the best way to handle an Axolotl if, for instance you have to take it out of the aquarium for whatever reason? What do yall think of the names ive picked out: Ahtunowhiho which is Cheyenne native american for "one who lives beneath", Skulblaka from the Inheritance Series (Eragon) and it means "dragon", and than Rafiki from the Lion King.
Thanks in advance for the help.

How big is the tank your planning on using, is it cycled? is there plenty of hides?

It's best to handle axolotls as little as possible, but I used to use a soft net from the petstore. Just make sure it's big enough for your biggest axie to lay in the bottom along the seam without being bent at all.
Out of those names I like the first one, quite apt for an axie. :)

The best way to handle your axie is with a fine aquarium net. That way you won't accidentally damage the slime coat and it'll also be faster than trying to catch it with your hands so the axolotl won't get stressed. Some axies learn to come and sit on your hand so those might be possible to move with your hands, but you'll have to be careful not to drop them or squeeze them too much. Some people also just scoop them up with a plastic container, but I know my axies hate that and will do anything to get out of it and then get stressed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back