Please help!!

JealousVixy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Aztecl
My axie iv had for a few months got her front right foot bitten bu my other axie about a week ago and the skin was peeling off with a bit of flesh seen underneath. I left it and it was looking really good and healing over. Then i woke up this morning and she was on her side on the bottom of the tank and her whole arm was down to the bone with whispy whiteness all over it. Im thinking it could be a fungal infection because her back right toe which hits her arm when she walks around has also now got some whitish stuff on it. What do i do i love her so much. It looks horrible and she doesnt seem to be doing so well. Please help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 122
You need to separate her from the one that's attacking her. It looks like she's been bitten again, more severely. I have trouble with pictures, but if you see cottony white tufts on the damaged tissue, treat for fungus. Fungus often takes advantage when there is some sort of damage already present. There is a sticky on treating to fungus a at the top of the page. I used chlorinated water on my bitten juvie, with excellent results. I soaked for 5-10 mins in cold tap water that was not dechlorinated. I did this twice a day, for a total of three treatments. The fungus fell of after the first treatment. Then just keep separate, in cool, clean water with plenty of worms. Hopefully the damage is mostly superficial and will heal up quickly.

How often have you been feeding and have you increased the amount as they are growing?

I would definitely separate them until you know for sure if the other axie is causing the problems. Also as Boomsloth said are they being fed enough? Normally they shouldn't be nippy with each other unless they are not being fed enough or if there is not enough room for them to move around and what not. As for treating it. I don't know. I've read about tea baths but I do not know for sure how to do that.

ok so i've done a few water changes and the water is crystal clean. i'm going to start doing salt baths, but just wondering is it necessary to fridge the axy in conjunction with salt baths? and do i use the solution in the sticky or dechlorinated water?
Her back foot where shes been hitting it on the wound is now exhibiting the same symptoms :/

Try dechlorinated water or indian almond leaves first. Those will often be enough and more gentle to the axie. If those don't work, then do salt baths. Especially if she has been bitten and the wound hasn't healed then salt baths can be very painful.

Try dechlorinated water

I think you mean like a chlorinated water bath? like the same procedure for a salt bath but instead of actually using salt just use regular chlorinated water in a tub for the 15 minutes or whatever?

I think you mean like a chlorinated water bath? like the same procedure for a salt bath but instead of actually using salt just use regular chlorinated water in a tub for the 15 minutes or whatever?

Haha yeah, I meant to write chlorinated water. :D

yeah, i thought that might be the case with the salt in the wound. and would i just take her out of the tank, or would i fridge her?
and i'v taken her companion out just in case. and iv been feeding them an extra worm each when i feed them.

You might want to avoid fridging and just keep the water pretty cool and fresh, fridging might make them lose their appetite and they should heal up pretty well with just the cool water and maybe the chlorinated bath keiko suggested. Fridging will speed healing but I think you might be more concerned about appetite so they stay about the same size and weight so there's no future bullying if/when they ever go back together. But that's just my opinion someone might have better reasons to fridge that I didn't think of :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back