Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl behaviour

AxolotlLicious

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was wondering if any of you are good at deciphering axolotl behavior.
I currently got three axolotls, and two of them seem to be doing this weird pose from time to time. Its hard to describe, its almost like they're posing on purpose... belly flat to the ground but with forelegs stiff and firmly planted on the ground, and really raising their head up high, it looks like a "strong" pose, the first thing that comes to mind is its sort of like a proud lion looking over its territory.

My boyfriend is very set on this and tells me "Its like a begging-behaviour, like a cat would meow and rub against you when begging, this is just the axies way of doing it. If they could meow at you, you wouldnt be in doubt"

Is he right? Im not sure if its something more inter-social between the axies, and not necessarily begging behavior. I'll include a picture of Fars (wild) and Skinke (albino) Fars on the right is ALMOST doing the pose, but usually the back is way more arched and the head is very up high.

what does this mean, people?

2ivgnso.jpg

auntiejude

Reaction score
Sounds normal for axies.... they are odd little things really.

One of mine stands at the front of his tank in what can only be described as a 'bulldog stance'.

If you think what an axie might do in the wild you'll figure a lot of it out. Looking up to the surface is natural behaviour - they are watching for fallen insects and other such yummies.

keiko

Reaction score
My wild type does that when she's waiting for food - back arched, front legs firmly on the floor, head looking up.
My leucistic on the other hand stands on his back legs and stares at me while doing this weird "dance".
And my baby copper will do pretty much anything to get my attention - I'm pretty sure I could teach her to jump through hoops if I tried...

Connor

Reaction score
My leucistic on the other hand stands on his back legs and stares at me while doing this weird "dance".

This is the same for me, looks like an astronaut jumping across the tank :rofl:

Boomsloth

Reaction score
When I had my guys in the tub they learned that I can drop food directly into their mouths if they stand up to the surface.
3ytenedy.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!