Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: Best filter EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ciele02

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just wanted to let everyone know about this AMAZING filter I bought 2 months ago. Ive kept Axies for a couple of years and other fish for about 15 years and this hands down is the best thing I have ever spent my money on in my life! The filter is a brand called Ocean Free and its an Internal Hydra50 filter. It works by using negative ions to break down Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites. The result is pretty much instant, you could put it into a highly toxic tank and within half an hour the water would be "clean".

When I bought it I was a little doubtful about the salesman's claims, but then i noticed they had one in every tank in the Aquarium so I figured it must good since its one of the most reputable Aquariums in Brisbane.

Anyways, this filter has cit my tank maintainance time down from 10-15hrs per week (cleaning poops, water changes etc on 3 tanks) down to about an hour. I literally only have to suck out excess food and poops and that's it. I can get away with doing my water changes fortnightly...I still check my water parameters every second day and they are always perfect. I was so impressed with this filter after the 1st month I went and bought them for my other tanks. The filter is especially great for those who have set up a new tank because it prevents the wild fluctuations during the cycling process and keeps the water clean while the bacteria builds up in the biological filter and will help prevent sickness and death from 'new tank syndrome'.

My Axies have never been happier or healthier, Ive had 4 lots of eggs laid since I first put the filter in. The water stays crystal clear.

The only drawback is it puts out quit a strong current so I have put a new shower sponge around the outlet to cut it down. The filter comes in a few different sizes for different size tanks the Hydras20,30,40 and 50.

This filter works great now matter the water temperature I have both chilled and tropical tanks. Its easy to clean, can just be rinsed under the tap as its not a biological filter and just has a cartridge that needs replacing annually that produces the ions.

honestly now I have used this filter I will NEVER do without one. Im having 2 custom tanks built at the moment and will be making sure i get the filters for those to. prices vary from about $70 to $145 AUD depending on size and where you buy them. but you can get them from ebay reasonably priced.

Words cant describe how impressed I am with these filters, its made my life so much easier and all my Axies, Goldfish and Black Knife fish are super happy. do yourself a favor and grab one when you can!

This link shows you the basic info

Hydra 50 Internal Filter - PondQuip

I hope this is helpful to everyone...sorry for the rambling:wacko:

Cie

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
From what I read the filter seems decent. The publicity campaign and product info leave something to be desired.

keiko

Reaction score
I'd guess cit=cut.
And after a quick visit to my dear friend Mr. Google it seems that "new tank syndrome" is a real term.
She's mentioned the filter in a previous post a few weeks back too. Though this does sound a bit like an overly eager salesman. :D
I'd like to know what kinds of ions this uses and how the whole thing works?

ciele02

Reaction score
Wow no need to be so rude guys. I just found a product that has made a huge difference to me and to my pets most importantly. I wasn't "advertising" Allied123 and I find it ironic that you're ripping into me and you haven't heard of 'new tank syndrome' which is deaths that often occur when people who don't know about tank cycling dont do water changes through the ammonia spike and all their fish die. Its pretty common. Oh and excuse me for not having the best keyboard in the world and having some apostrophe buttons that dont always work. Last time I try and offer help on something that may make life a bit happier for the pets we love . I only provided as much details as I could about the filter because I thought it would save people asking questions and wanted to show how much easier it made my life. Frankly I couldn"t give a **** if anyone goes and buys one and I did try to point out you could get them on ebay which is cheaper. I will be leaving Caudata.org after being a member for over a year.

DiscusDream

Reaction score
" New tank syndrome" is a VERY common term in the aquarium world!! It's the phrase used when people lose their fish because they know nothing about cycling a tank.

I thought the post was very informative....she sounds genuinely excited about a product that she has been using for quite a while now. So much so that I have been looking at it myself.

Sad that someone feels they have to leave such an informative and helpful online community!!

allied123

Reaction score
Wow I am so incredibly sorry I offended anyone. I'm honestly shocked that was someone's real account after reading through that several times it sounded like a sales person hacked someone's account and was putting spam on this site which broke my heart because I haven't been here long but I really love this site. I was just genuinely concerned about spam and viruses after trusting other similar things and I can't apologize more. I honestly don't think my previous comments, which have been removed, were personally offensive and I'm sorry I said anything. Again I haven't been here long and was concerned that something like what I described could be happening on this lovely site. Sorry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1