Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Eww! Tiny worms in tap water.

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
So I just finished cleaning out my axolot tank and noticed a LOT of tiny white worms wiggling around the bottom of my tank. I've never seen worms in my axolotl water before and this water comes straight from my bathtub faucet.

These things are everywhere. On the bottom, swimming..you name it. I tried to take a photo of them so any help on what the hell these nasty things are and if they are safe to my axolotls.

If these things are directly coming from my tap water then I am so grossed out!
These things are probably in my hair dried up lol. I'm being over dramatic but EWWW!

Attachments

• DSC04600.jpg
    DSC04600.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 7,251
  • DSC04599.jpg
    DSC04599.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,184

rachel1

Reaction score
They look like detritus worms to me, harmless and probably disturbed be something in your pipes. If that bothers you, don't look up microscopic pics of the mites that call your skin pores home...

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
I read those are usually aquarium worms but what makes no sense is the fact that they all died a few minutes after I treated my water with Aquasafe Water Conditioner.

I also too a cup of water from the same faucet about 30 minutes later and held it up to the light but didn't see any worms. Ahhh I'm so confused now!

Bette

Reaction score
Those worms can come from anywhere.... dirt, plants, live food. I think sometimes that axies can carry the eggs in their gut or something. But this is just my unproven theory ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1