What colour will they be?

JodeeC

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all I was wondering how old the babies have to be before you know what colour they will be? I have some that are 3 weeks old and you can still see their heart and their bellies full of shrimp. I have posted a pic for you all to see

Attachments

• 20140809_144259.jpg
    20140809_144259.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 236
They look as though they may be leucistic.

What color types where the parents?

I think they are wildtypes, but knowing what the parents are would help.

I honestly have no idea what colour the parents are = I have 10 adults in a 6 x2 x2 tank and woke up to find eggs. The eggs were very dark when first laid and the spermataphores where white..... they went from being dark eggs to grey/white then to white then were a sort of goldy brown when hatched, they have since changed to what they are now.

I have one White male with black eyes and one wild type male. The females are 1 x Albino, 3 x Gold Albino, 1 black, 1 wild type, 1 white with black eyes and 1 that is half white and half wild type (kinda like top deck chocolate but the other way around lol). Sorry I don't know the technical names for them all yet......

My leucistics (white with black eyes) looked like that at that size. The dark eggs rule out any albinos as mom. You'll be able to tell pretty easily when they get a bit bigger.

My leucistics (white with black eyes) looked like that at that size. The dark eggs rule out any albinos as mom. You'll be able to tell pretty easily when they get a bit bigger.

Ok so if the eggs are dark then mum would have to be a wild type or black :) - thats one part sorted lol. Im pretty sure that dad would be Leucistic now that I have had a good chance to suss them out. I fed them black worms for the first time today and it was crazy to watch as they have clear heads and you could see the worms wiggling under their eyes!!! :eek: I can easily see which ones have tried the worms as they have black bellies instead of the orange. I was surprised at how easily they took the worms (chopped up so they were easier for them to swallow). Will be a great help considering how many brine shrimp I'm having to hatch to keep up with feeding them!. Oh and a second batch of eggs was discovered 3 days ago :D

Ok so if the eggs are dark then mum would have to be a wild type or black :) - thats one part sorted lol.
Yup, but the leucistics will also lay dark colored eggs, as they are not truly albino. The pigment is there, it just never migrates out over the body of the animal as it develops. That's where the dark eyes come from. If you're babies are 100% leucistic, chances are pretty good both parents were leucistics.

Also I'm curious about your "half white wildtype". Any pics? Sounds interesting.

Yup, but the leucistics will also lay dark colored eggs, as they are not truly albino. The pigment is there, it just never migrates out over the body of the animal as it develops. That's where the dark eyes come from. If you're babies are 100% leucistic, chances are pretty good both parents were leucistics.

In this case I hope not as the 2 Leucisitics i have are brother and sister!!!

Also I'm curious about your "half white wildtype". Any pics? Sounds interesting.

Sure here is the pic - It is white all underneath and its two back legs are white :) also don't worry about the gravel its only in the middle of the tank (6ft x 2ft x 2ft) to hold down the plants :) Her name is "top deck" named by my 11yr old daughter after the chocolate that is white and brown lol

Attachments

• 20140811_081903.jpg
    20140811_081903.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 162
Wow that's almost like a chimera, only split between the top and bottom.

Back to the OP's pic, I think they are leucistic as my leucy male and female bred the majority of my babies to look just like them.

Wow that's almost like a chimera, only split between the top and bottom.

Back to the OP's pic, I think they are leucistic as my leucy male and female bred the majority of my babies to look just like them.

I knew she was special when I found her and had to buy her!!
I would be stoked if they were Leucistic as they are hard to find in my area - well there are no supplies in my area at all at the moment so I'm just happy to have bread them. :D

She is gorgeous! My son saw her and said that he definitely wants one like that LoL! Since no one around here sells axiz I'll have to really try to hunt one down :eek:

Ive not come across another one like her since buying her but am always on the look out :) - I hope you can find your son one!

She is gorgeous! My son saw her and said that he definitely wants one like that LoL! Since no one around here sells axiz I'll have to really try to hunt one down :eek:

their is someone on Facebook that has harlequins look up Ashley's Axolotl's. :D id love to get some from her, but I have no more room.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back