Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello Everyone!

Goldibug

Reaction score
First I want to say thank you for accepting my join request! I just discovered axolotls through a freshwater group on Facebook last week. One of the gals owns an axolotl and referred me here. I've been reading all the information on this site about them and can't wait to purchase a couple. My kids each want one too. The only person I need to convince now is my husband LoL! He might just come home to a new tank set up in the near future. I'm sure he'll be pleased as he finds the axolotls creepy :evil:

mewsie

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

My boyfriend thought they were creepy before we got them, but now he sits and talks and plays guitar to them.

They're charming creatures and very easy to care for if you get everything correct at the start. If you have been reading through this forum you're far more well prepared than I was at first.

Looking forward to hearing all about the new additions :)

nandu

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I love to know about different amphibians that is why I join this thread.I really love amphibians like snails,frogs,fishes etc. a lot.Keep on sharing useful information about all such lovely and charming creatures.

Goldibug

Reaction score
LoL Mewsie! I hope I have the same luck with my husband as you did with your boyfriend! I already have a 20 gallon long and some black coal slag that I use as sand in my fish tanks. I also have a couple internal filters but I'm not sure they'd be big enough for the 20 gallon. They came with little 5 gallon tanks LoL! I'll probably look into getting an aquaclear 20. I have one on my son's 10 gallon and it's working great! Aquaclears are my favorite HOB filters. Do you have a picture of your little guys?

mewsie

Reaction score
If he doesn't end up loving them he has a heart of stone ;)

Re: coal slag, I can't comment on the chemistry involved, but it is too sharp for axolotls. They are extremely delicate and coal slag has sharp edges and often little shards in it.

Axolotls snuffle about and when they find something they want to eat they open their mouths very fast, creating a vacuum and sucking in anything in the vicinity. This usually includes sand. They spit bits of it out but will usually swallow some.

The best bet is river sand that has been washed until you want to scream. Seriously. We're talking like 10 times or more.

Axolotls do not like strong currents. They are from lakes, rather than rivers which would have a current, so if you use a fairly powerful filter, you should break up the water flow using plants or a spray bar. In my axolotl tanks I use sponge filters powered by air pumps, and manually swoosh the sand around each week when I change water out :)

Here's a few pics of the axies for you!

GYF7t.jpg

9syLF.jpg

rGWoMjh.jpg

Goldibug

Reaction score
I have several bottom feeding fish with delicate barbels sifting through the coal slag daily. They don't have any injuries from it. I've heard of others with cichlids that will spit the coal slag through their gills and not have any issues either. I would think it would be safe for axolotls as well because of this wouldn't you?
P.S. I'm not trying to be rude. I'd like your opinion on the matter is all.

Those guys are so cute! Thanks for sharing :D

mewsie

Reaction score
You wouldn't be alone in thinking that a setup that has kept fish happy and healthy for a long time would keep amphibians happy and healthy too!

Amphibians are far more delicate and sensitive than most fish, and although their habitat in captivity may resemble that of fish, it is often entirely different, and requires extra care and vigilance to keep them healthy.

You need to be more aware of the biological cycles that create a healthy eco-system as the skin of axolotls is far more sensitive than that of fish. They also readily absorb chemicals or toxins through their skin, so you need to consider the external environment and what you may have on your own skin when you go in the tank.

They are far more sensitive to temperature and water flow changes, and as you become more experienced and more established on the forum you will begin to see the same problems recurring. You will also realise just how different they are from fish when you get some. They are so soft, like the texture of marshmallow, I think.

I hope that helps some - please do ask away. You are in many ways at an advantage, having kept aquariums and fish before, but it can also be a challenge to change your habits to suit axolotls.

And thats why you're here! ;)

Goldibug

Reaction score
I'm confused slightly. Wouldn't you cycle an axolotls tank the same as you would a fish? 0 ammonia/nitrIte, 40ppm or less nitrAte, weekly partial water changes, baffle the filter output the same as you would for a long fined betta? Also you need to be diligent about hand washing with fish as any chemicals added to the tank can harm them too. Can you explain in further detail what the differences are besides not needing a heater for axolotls? Oh and about the coal slag, it feels the same as black aquarium sand. I thought all types of sand were safe for axolotls?

mewsie

Reaction score
40ppm is quite high - you would not want your nitrates to sit at this level.

Yes, you can baffle your filter output, or use an air powered sponge filter. You want filtration with minimal water flow.

It's good to hear you already pay a lot of attention to hand washing!

No, all types of sand are not suitable for axolotls this Sanctuary article is full of excellent information! As I said above, I'm really not one to comment around the chemistry of coal slag, so perhaps you are able to determine if it fits within one of the listed safe sands - someone else may step in here. It is worth searching the site and you can judge from the other opinions given in the past :) One very good way to think about it is - would axolotls live on coal slag in the wild?

Please understand that we are not here to contradict what you already know about your fish. We are here speaking from experience. Lots and lots of experience - specifically with axolotls and other amphibians. And we have also seen lots and lots of axolotls get sick and die due to poor or inappropriate husbandry. Axolotls are a dream to keep if you follow the guidelines given on this board. Of course, you are always free to extend your boundaries and use your prior experience with aquariums to make educated decisions on how you feel a habitat would be better be formed for an axolotl!

There is a whole forum section on tanks, setup and substrate for hours of perusing pleasure! Hopefully we'll see some of your pictures up there soon! Hopefully with a smiling husband in shot ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!