Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Weird growths in Lotl's frills

Vhaeraunite

Reaction score
My Axol has had a red growth coming out of her frill for the past 5 months. At that time I did a salt treatment to see if it would help. She wasn't rejecting food and her personality didn't change at all so I got to thinking that maybe it was just a mutated frill and since it wasn't causing her discomfort I let it go. Now she has one coming in on her other side as well. I haven't found pictures of an other axolotls with this issue. So what do you guys think it is?

Attachments

• 1407743267094.jpg
    1407743267094.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 360

auntiejude

Reaction score
It's just an enlarged vein - nothing to worry about. They pop up from time to time and often disappear on their own - no treatment needed.

mewsie

Reaction score
It seems fairly common! It looks kind of worrying, but they just eventually disappear.

One of mine had one of these for maybe 6 months. It disappeared, came back a few months later for a few weeks then disappeared. Haven't seen it for a good 2 years now, I'd say :)

What I would add though, is unless those pretty stones are significantly larger than an adult axolotls head, you should take them out. It might sound absurd but axolotls have been known to eat all sorts of stupid things... Anything smaller than their head. And that IS something to worry about as the items get lodged and impacted in the axolotls digestive system and are a very real danger to its life.

Pretty as they are, better safe than sorry :)

Vhaeraunite

Reaction score
Thank you for the wonderful news that she's going to be ok. As for the stones yes they are much larger then her head (most of it is buried in the sand) and they are quite heavy so I'm not too worried about her eating them.
Thank you for the concern though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1