Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl-in Tank Cycling

Fadeity

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to the forums and new to having an aquarium, so I have a question about tank cycling, specifically fish (or axolotl)-in cycling.

I have the materials necessary for testing the tank waters and understand the basic chemical process of what is happening during tank cycling. However, I am confused about the actual physical steps I will be taking while cycling the tank. I am aware of partial water changes and testing the water, but how frequently should I be doing this? Also, when I change the water, I add more tap water dechlorinator each time, correct?

If anyone could briefly explain or link me to a more basic guide of the steps of cycling (as in, not an explanation of the chemistry behind the process) I would be extremely grateful!

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Basically with any live animals in the tank during cycling you need to be doing water changes every day. With axolotls the ammonia or nitrite cannot get passed 0.5 ppm. You should be testing the water and if you see it's at 2.0 ppm then you need to do a 75% water change to bring it back down making sure to add dechlorinater. This process can be over a month of daily water changes which is why a fish less cycle is preferred with the axolotls in a smaller container with just daily 100% changes.

Fadeity

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed reply, but thank you for your response. So, I will be doing daily water changes and testing ammonia daily as well? I assume that ammonia should be tested before the water is changed, correct? Then, once the water is changed, I add the dechlorinator? Just quadruple checking.

Cacique

Reaction score
Yes, I would check the ammonia before you do the water change. If the ammonia or nitrite (or both) levels have risen, then you can do a water change to bring it back down and comfortable for your axolotl.

As for the dechlorinator, it depends. If you're filling up buckets to then pour into the tank, put the dechlorinator in the bucket of water and give it a bit of a stir before you pour it into the tank. If you're going to use something like an Aqueon or Python water changers, then you can just pour the dechlorinator that you need into the tank and then fill it up.

In case you didn't know, I'm not sure if you do, but you'll get ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spikes as the cycle goes on. For example; you'll get a nitrate spike once the cycle is done which you can finish off by just doing a big water change. Or nitrite spikes as it gets to the nitrite stage of the cycle.

Fadeity

Reaction score
Thank you Cacique, that information is extremely helpful. I did know about the ammonia spikes and am pretty familiar with the chemistry going on in the background. So, one last question: how often should I test water hardness? Is it worth it to test it every day along with the ammonia testing?

Xtophr

Reaction score
You don't need to check the water hardness daily; if you have soft water or a relatively low ph, it's something you address to bring the levels up, but then only occasionally test. Over time, they can decrease as the nitrogen cycle does tend to acidify the water gradually.

Cacique

Reaction score
I also don't think it's necessary to test for hardness that often. If you added a new sand or decor maybe, but other than that I would say it would be if you wanted to make sure the hardness of your tap water hasn't changed, maybe test once a month or so. I assume the constant water changes would keep the hardness the same as your tap water, but I could be wrong.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1