Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Emergency! Axolotl swallowed a large rock

hamyumyum

Reaction score
Help! My adult axolotl swallowed a large glass rock, and I mean large. I don't think he'll be able to pass it through his body without dying and I don't know what to do! The vet is extremely pricey so I'm hoping for answers. Please help and save him! Please!

yellowpebble

Reaction score
First, I'm sorry for your situation and your axolotl, it really sucks to have a sick pet :(

this is what i would do:

1 - remove all of the rocks from your tank and only have sand or nothing.

2 - put your axolotl in a dark plastic container, with some tank water, in the fridge (make sure you leave an air pocket). There are some good fridge tutorials on the forum, take a look around. It will help him pass/vomit the rock if it is at all possible. And if not, keep him alive for longer (sorry). Leave him for a week or two before proceeding to the next step, to see if he can pass the rock on his own.

3 - suck it up and take him to the vet. You bought this pet, and in doing so took on the responsibility of paying the money to care for it if it got sick. It is very expensive, i sympathise, but if it is really as big as you make out - this is probably the only option to keep him alive.

4 - if he lives, read into proper axolotl care so emergencies don't happen. The easiest way to avoid the vet bill is to keep them safe to begin with.

I really hope you are feeling OK, and all of our best wishes to your axie. It will help if you take some photos for us? post them in this thread when you can. Good luck guys!

auntiejude

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but a large stone can only be removed surgically by a vet - it would probably do more damage to get him to regurgitate it or try to pass it.

And yes, get rid of any rocks smaller than your fist.

mewsie

Reaction score
To a vet with suitable experience if possible, and urgently.

This may sound morbid but if you can keep this thread updated it would help the community bolster the advice regarding rocks in tanks.

I wish you and your axolotl all the luck in the world! x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!