FYI: Question about axolotl spermatophore

Azsinderkitty

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Azzinderkitty
:confused: so, my presumably male axolotl has reached about 9 inches, I may also possibly have a female, at 7-8 inches. iv found about 9 spermatophore all over the tank. do males just drop them just because? or did he drop it because the female is old enough to breed? it is the first time I found them and with there being so many one day, none the next day. what is going on? was my male just feeling frisky just because?:confused:

Males generally drop them when the female is receptive. Axolotls have a courtship dance and if the female is not interested the males generally retain spermataphores. If your tank is full of them there is a good chance of the female laying.

ok, good and bad, this will be her first then, and she is too young. any info on helping her through this would be great.

Males generally drop them when the female is receptive.

My males are in a tank on their own, but occasionally deposit spermatophores over their tank in the absence of any females! I guess some male axies are just optimistic...

My males are in a tank on their own, but occasionally deposit spermatophores over their tank in the absence of any females! I guess some male axies are just optimistic...

Same - I have two males in one tank and in spring they leave a lot of little treats about the tank. I couldn't be sure if it is one or both of them.

I have a tank with a lone male in and I have never found any in there. Interestingly enough one of the males who is now in with a tank mate was previously alone in the separate tank (tank mate swap) and never deposited any while he was alone.

So it's either a habit of the one male who has never lived alone, or there is something to do with having more than one axolotl in a tank, regardless of gender.

Could it be a competition thing? One male trying to get a head start on the other just in case a lovely femlae just happens to pass by?

Maybe it's when I walk by? ;)

Saying that, I have often wondered if there is some mechanism by which I as a human, could be prompting something like this if my arms are in the tank at a specific point in my own cycle.

Unfortunately my life's path took me down a path that involved only minimal biochemistry!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back