First Time Axolotl Owner

HannahM

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
We're planning on welcoming an axolotl into the family in the next few weeks, but since we've never had one before, we're seeking some advice. We've got the tank, filter and hides for the Axolotl, and are planning on buying some sand to place on the bottom. Is there a specific type of sand that we need to get? I've also read a little on cycling the tank before getting the Axolotl, is this necessary and does anyone have any tips for this? Or just any tips in general for axolotl care would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

The sand has to be very fine. Some people use children's playsand for example. Gravel could cause impaction if the axie accidentally swallowed it. Also the axie should be over 5 inches before you put sand in the tank.

Cycling should be done before getting an axie. For that you'll need the tank filled with water and the filter running, pure ammonia and water testing kit. Add ammonia so that the test result is about 4ppm. Test the water everyday and add more as needed. Once the cycle can convert 4ppm ammonia into 0 ammonia and nitrite with a reading of nitrates in 24 hours the cycle is ready.This will take a few weeks. You can speed it up by getting some old filter media from a friend and putting that in your tank or filter. Just make sure the aquarium is healthy and keep the filter media in water the whole time so the good bacteria won't die.

Edit: Once the cycle is ready ammonia and nitrite should always be 0 because those are very toxic. Nitrates should be under 40 ppm, in higher concentrations nitrates are dangerous too. Nitrates are removed by weekly water changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back