Question: My axolotl-sitter is squeamish

HazeyJane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm being a neurotic newbie again. I have to go away for four days later this month (unavoidable)

My other half is happy to look after my pets but is not comfortable to kill worms. I blanch tiger worms prior to feeding.

If I blanch then cool and immediately freeze worms would that work? Then they could be removed and would defrost quite quickly..

My alternative is to let my other half feed frozen bloodworms while I am away.

Background: we've had the Axolotl less than a month, he is an adult (2 years) and had some damage done to him by fish in his last home. He's also a little thin, as the fish were chomping his food as well as his gills. But he seems happy enough, he's learned to eat worms like a champion. He spends his days doing aquatic yoga and generally being fabulous.

Thanks again for the massive Axolotl knowledge bank on here :happy:

Re: My axolotl-siter is squeamish

I'm not sure about freezing the worms, the frozen bloodworms I think would keep your axie from feeling too hungry even though they're not as nutritious as earth worms. Have you tried feeding your axolotl a whole live worm? While some might not take them some do, my axolotl isn't the best example but he has eaten whole live worms. Another option could be some axolotl/carnivore pellets.

Don't worry, I've had axolotls for years now and I'm still neurotic ;)

Adults should normally be perfectly fine to go 4 days without food, and I regularly leave my lot for 4 days while I go away with work. Doesn't stop me making myself sick with worry, but they're always fine!

However, if you think your little guy is too skinny and you're worried, fatten him up first :)

Axolotl pellets are more than satisfactory for times when you need an 'easy feed'. It sounds like you and axolotl have got the worm thing down for staple diet, but grab some pellets for when you're away.

Your axolotl might take a few days to get used to them though, so grab some ASAP and try him out. Do try live worms though, if your OH would cope with those.

Earthworms turn to mush when frozen. But pellets are a great option, as are live worms or bloodworms for a few days.

Thank you for the advice, that's great.

OH will not feed live worms or kill worms himself so I will check out pellets and see how that goes.

I'll feed him up before I go too (axie not OH!)

If all else fails there will be bloodworms in the freezer.

Hopefully they'll be ok, Perhaps I will stop stressing out about all things axolotl..

If he's anything like mine he'll just shrug, put 'em on toast, cover in cheese, grill.

You can eat ANYTHING if you melt cheese on top.....;)

Desperate times, desperate measures and all that. Protein is protein!

I absolutely love feeding up my axie..

He gets so animated when the worms arrive, he's so different to how he was when he arrived.. He just snapped food but now he seems to anticipate it as well. Hopefully he'll soon be as big round his tummy as he should be.. It'd be good if he could be a little plump before I go away.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back