New to axolotls

pappabear1973

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I jUst received three axolotl. One white and two grey. They are about a year old. They have been kept in a ten gallon aquarium. I have a 55 I am currently seeing up for them with a sand substrate. Looking forward to learning more and enjoying these guys. Thanks

Attachments

• 20140812_202328.jpg
    20140812_202328.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 20140812_202340.jpg
    20140812_202340.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 106
Welcome!
They will definitely appreciate the 55 gallon. Make sure that the new tank is properly cycled before you put them into it. There is a great article on this website about how to cycle your aquarium.
It may just be the angle of how she is holding her leg, but it looks like your leucistic had a leg injury(left rear) that is long healed.
And the axies that I could see clearly in the pics appear to be females. They have very nice coloration and nice fluffy gill stalks.:happy:

They've got some pretty gills on 'em!

Welcome to the forum!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back