Second Time Breeding (Or attempting to - No luck yet)

Rick Douglass

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there
My name is Rick. I used to have axi's as a child and raised a few young without much idea back then. I am 36 now and want to get back into it. I have a 3.5yo albino female (11 inches long) and two 14 - 15 month old wild type males in a 4 foot sand bottom tank with chiller and canister.
I have had these axi's together for 10 weeks now but no eggs yet. The males are dropping spermetaphores every couple of weeks but the female doesn't seem keen. She is very large and fat so I assume full of eggs.
I was thinking of getting another female just in case she is lame. Probably should just give them some time first. They are at about 19dec celcius

Cheers
Rick

Welcome, Rick!

You will probably enjoy the Eggs, Larvae, Breeding forum where you can ask tons of questions about breeding - and what to do when it happens and you have a few hundred axolotls to feed ;)

It can take time. Sometimes a big water change can trigger spawning. What are you feeding? If you aren't already, try feeding live foods such as red worms or earthworms.

Hi
I am feeding them earthworms once a week and pellets every other day. They get a water change of approx 30% about once a week. I have just turned the chiller down to 15 deg C, more sperm packets this morning, will leave it like that for a few days and see if it does anything.
cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back