Axolotl coming home?

Axolotlet

Reaction score
Country
United States
I left my axolotl with a friend while on vacation. I moved him from his normal 30 gallon tank to a 5 gallon tank, which he's been in for a few weeks now (it's cycled). He'll be home in a week and all I have is this 30 gal empty tank, should I fill it partially with uncycled water and mix in the contents of the 5 gal tank he's living in now? Will that be enough to cycle it? Will it be safe to move him from his small cycled tank to a large partially cycled one right away? Thank you!!

I think if you transfer any substrate, decor, plants, etc along with the filter, it should at least go a long way to get your cycle going. If you can't use the filter, squeeze the media into the tank, but if you can just set the filter next to the 30gal filter and run it for a week or two.

It would also be a good idea to test the water in the tank every day or every other day to make sure the parameters stay good. I would do that and treat it as if you're doing a fish-in cycling; constant testing and more frequent water changes until you see the parameters are good and stable.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back