Emergency, someone please help!!! :(

cherryglue

Reaction score
Country
United States
I dont know why shes bleeding..but its a fair amount..we gave her a salt bath, very mild last night and shes been in the fridge for the last like 15-20 hours because she had ick from some feeders we were giving her as a treat but now shes suddenly bleeding...her gills are shriveled and her tail looks like its folded and torn...im freaking out and i dont know what to do...

Attachments

• 20140814_215635.jpg
    20140814_215635.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 249
I am sorry I am not sure what I could offering this case. It might be worth seeing a vet.

What were the feeder fish? How big are they? How many were there? Could there be a possibility the fish were biting at her gills?
Where is she bleeding from, is it from the gills?

What was the concentration and duration of the salt bath? Incorrect treatment can cause significant damage to the gills, including the shedding of gill fimbriae and bleeding.

What was the concentration and duration of the salt bath? Incorrect treatment can cause significant damage to the gills, including the shedding of gill fimbriae and bleeding.

what i read told me to do 2-3 tablespoons of the aquarium salt per liter, so i did 4 in a two liter, the bath was 12 minutes long. she's doing ok now, we did a milder bath last night and the bleeding stopped but checked on her this morning and there was just a drop or two of blood...there was so much blood last night i freaked out and couldnt stop crying..

in response to the type of feeder fish, they were just cheap little 15 cent fish and we only had 3 in our 50 gal tank with her, they were too scared of her to get close enough to bite her, but we got rid of one after she ate 2 because she couldnt catch it. then noticed her gills were looking very sad and withered and suddenly saw spots on her body a few hours later. chalked that up to ick, shes been in a tub the last 48 hrs in a fridge...we threw our other boy in the fridge too because he was in the tank with her and didnt wanna risk him getting ick too (theyre in seperate containers in the fridge.) his slime coat is peeling, but im not overly worried about him, he seems to be acting fine..

Thats a very strong salt solution - it should be 2-3 TEAspoons, not TABLEspoons per L. And as already mentioned salt can cause issues when too strong. It's almost certainly the cause of the peeling.

You shold really check out what species of fish you are feeding your axie too, some species are not recommended. And you need to quarantine any feeder fish for 3-4 weeks too, never feed straight from the shop.

Thats a very strong salt solution - it should be 2-3 TEAspoons, not TABLEspoons per L. And as already mentioned salt can cause issues when too strong. It's almost certainly the cause of the peeling.

You shold really check out what species of fish you are feeding your axie too, some species are not recommended. And you need to quarantine any feeder fish for 3-4 weeks too, never feed straight from the shop.

oh my god, the thread i read was very wrong then, i only just now found the proper thread for salt bath instructions...i feel so stupid right now...we are no longer messing with feeder fish after this, dont worry. The axie whos coat is peeling never got the salt bath though, just the one with ick visible on her.

I found the thread you're talking about and sent a message to the mods to correct the typo. I'm sorry this happened to you and hope the correction will spare others any confusion going forward.

I found the thread you're talking about and sent a message to the mods to correct the typo. I'm sorry this happened to you and hope the correction will spare others any confusion going forward.

thank you very much :) im sure she will be ok, she hasnt been bleeding today, we saw a few spots from through the night, but she seems MUCH better.

Please help us diagnose her...

We thought she had ick because there were feeder fish in her tank and we noticed they had it and her gills started looking very pathetic and withered suddenly and i also noticed a few white ick spots on her sides...so we gave her salt baths with an incorrect mix..(regrettably, from a thread on here. i will never forgive myself for hurting her so much..)..she now has been bleeding a little bit and has tiny sore spots on her from the harsh salt...we have been fridging her for 48 hrs now, but she still has spots on her gills and sides...they look different from slime coat to me, but my boyfriend thinks thats all it could be and im hoping the same..

our next thought was to try a tea bath (quarantine tank with tea-bath water like the informative site says to do)...it seems she is getting a little better from the baths (though very strong, again, regrettably) because we gave her a very mild one tonight and have been changing her water shes fridged in daily..

Any help would be indescribably helpful..

Attachments

• 20140816_001800.jpg
    20140816_001800.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 20140816_001834.jpg
    20140816_001834.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 20140816_001907.jpg
    20140816_001907.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 422
  • 20140816_001850.jpg
    20140816_001850.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 202
Re: Please help us diagnose her...

We thought she had ick because there were feeder fish in her tank and we noticed they had it and her gills started looking very pathetic and withered suddenly and i also noticed a few white ick spots on her sides...so we gave her salt baths with an incorrect mix..(regrettably, from a thread on here. i will never forgive myself for hurting her so much..)..she now has been bleeding a little bit and has tiny sore spots on her from the harsh salt...we have been fridging her for 48 hrs now, but she still has spots on her gills and sides...they look different from slime coat to me, but my boyfriend thinks thats all it could be and im hoping the same.

Was trying to make a new thread because we dont know whats wrong with her anymore...but for some reason it got combined with this one..if anyone has an idea if this is ick or just skin problems now, or if we shouldnt do a tea bath, that would be helpful for us.

From what I understand Indian almond leaves can help soothe the skin, I think they're very large leaves that you just set in the tank but I don't know about setting them in such a small tub. There are also such things as tea baths (you'll have to look up the instructions on that one) but after your experience with baths you might lean towards just the almond leaves :) someone else can probably give you more information on them..

Starting to become a bit overwhelmed...shes still bleeding a little on her toes and her gill...now our other axolotl has white spots on his gills...im starting to fall apart..

Are they in separate tubs at the moment with regular water changes and what temperature are they at? If they're in the tank check the water quality.

When mine was sick he bled a lot which freaked me out. But, remember they are in water so a small drop of blood dilutes and looks worse than it often is. I'd personally put some Indian Almond leaves in the water, they really helped my axolotl. Tea works too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back