Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl thrashing

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
I have noticed twice today I have seen my golden albino thrashing about in her tank for a few seconds. I checked my parameters earlier today and before I noticed this I had gone through a small cleaning of the bottom of the tank yesterday.
My parameters are:
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: it always looks between 0 and .25 even when I use regular tap water.
Nitrate: 5ppm
Temp: 63 degrees

I dont see anything on her gills and shes eating just fine. I cant tell if she's trying to scratch her gills or not.
I have noticed that both times I have seen it she was under where the water comes back in from my filter and I wondering if the current could be causing this? I have a spray bar I have the water a bit below it so it causes some surface agitation to prevent a film on the water surface. My tank is 40 gallons so its such a mild current I dont know if it could be enough to bother her. It barely makes the leaves on the plant below it move.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Thrashing is often a sign of discomfort - irritation in the gills, digestive discomfort or constipation, irritation from an injury etc. If you can rule out obvious injury or fungus it could be digestive - they sometimes stand with their belly high off the ground with this too.

If it is digestive it should resolve after a good poop.

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
@snuggly time: I do dechlorinate the water,

@auntiejude: I will go ahead and keep a look out for her pooping. I usually dont see who is making the mess but usually there are two poos to be found once a day and now that I think back on it I believe I only scooped up one yesterday. I know she has a full belly from last so she should go soon. She's acting normal now so maybe it was just an off day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1