Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Selling Critters in different States

willowcat

Reaction score
Is there an easy method in finding out if it is legal in different states to sell critters? Say for instance....I want to sell Tiger Salamanders (Ambystoma tigrinum) to a state, do I have to contact each state for approval, or is there a easy and friendly look up?
Thank you,
Trace

Boomsloth

Reaction score
It's easier to look up the states that won't allow them. For example nj does not allow most larval salamanders. Some states will require you to get a sellers permit as well so look up the laws in the state you reside.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know of any easy user-friendly source for finding out what states you can send tiger salamanders to. California is definitely illegal (no Ambystoma). There are other states that would require some kind of permit, which may be easy to get, or next to impossible. The sheer variety of regulations from one state to another is mind boggling. In theory, a buyer should know their state laws, but many don't.

sde

Reaction score
I always go onto the states Department of Fish and Wildlife and do a bit of searching. I find the answers most of the time. Some states offer permits I believe, but I know that a lot don't as well. For instance, the state I am in, Washington, has supposedly some of the worst regulations in the country, it's blacklist is gigantic. There are not very many species that are legal to keep that you can actually find in captivity. AND they don't offer ANY permits. I believe it is similar with Oregon and California.

But like Jennewt said, many people don't actually know the regulations of their state. And in my case I was very confused about the regulation until I emailed the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife and got real answers as the regulation page was quite difficult to 'decipher' and was quite confusing.

I sort of have figured out how to find out if stuff is illegal or not through the mentions sites, and if I am going to sell anything I will make sure it is legal first. But there really isn't a very 'fast' way to find out, it might take an hour or two.

Anyway, I hope that answers your question. -Seth

sde

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response I have been gone for a week.

But sure, I will be glad to do it for you. :happy:

willowcat

Reaction score
My dear friend, I was just kidding. It would be a nightmare. But if anyone could or would do it, it would be you. You have a good heart. I am glad to have you as a friend.
Best,
Trace:wink:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!