Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What temp is to cold for an Axie???

Flee

Reaction score
Im sorry now if this comes across as a really silly question but what is the lowest temp that an 1 year old axie is happy at?

I know they prefer cold and around 16-18 the reason im asking is I am moving some to my garage and the water can drop to 12 and wondered if that is to low if I should use a heater just to warm the water a little to maybe 15 – 16?

I have been testing a tank while cycling it and worked out if I use the 200watt I can get it at 15 for a 4 foot just now for the winter?

Also they are coming from inside where my tank is around 18-19ish most of the time with my heater on.

Thanks for your help

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I know of some breeders letting their tanks get to almost freezing without any issues so you should be fine without a heater.

mewsie

Reaction score
I know of some breeders letting their tanks get to almost freezing without any issues so you should be fine without a heater.

Agreed!

The only ones who suffer are us humans when we have to stick our arms in there to clean :eek:

Flee

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your replies. It wont get cold enough for ice on top.. :happy:

Its amazing in a few months I will be complaining cause its to hot and now I can’t keep the water cool.. :eek: and instead of heaters I will have the fans out. lol

ChasingSanity

Reaction score
I'm in a very very cold part of Australia and actually have to have heaters in my axie tanks. I never used to and couldn't work out why they always died in winter. We can have weeks of 10 degrees or less days and minus nights and they just stop eating. I've got my current boy with a heater set at 16 degress and he's so happy and active.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1