Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops orientalis Normal Activity

mozzer

Reaction score
Hello all. I have been searching the forums for information on the activity level on the Chinese Firebelly Newts. I can't seem to find anything.

I notice that sometimes my newt "goes crazy". It will suddenly start swimming wildy around the tank. Almost like he is trying to get away from something. Other days he seems to barely move, just sitting in his favorite plant.

I was used to it freaking out when I siphon and change water. I only use aged water for the water changes. However, I notice lately that he has been doing this crazy swim about days after a water change. Perimeters all looking good. No rapid chin vibrations. No discoloration and eating normal. I feed it frozen bloodworms every other day.

So, when I am watching his tank. (He is so handsome to look at!) What should I be seeing? Behavior/activity wise?

Thank you for any feed back.:cool:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Is it swimming at the surface as if it's desperately trying to jump out of the water?
How large are the water changes?

Fully adjusted, healthy H.orientalis, in a fully cycled, well planted tank, will spend most of their time doing nothing, and that's a good thing. The crazy swimming is usually an indication of inadequate water conditions coupled with too much empty space at the surface. This is dangerous as the animal can get tired trying to reach the surface and eventually drown. To prevent this, the surface should be covered with a layer of dense vegetation where the animal can rest with its head close to the surface.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are there any other animals in the tank with the newts? I've seen similar behaviour when the newts are stressed out by being kept with toads or fish etc in petstores. It usually seems to go hand in hand with repeated attempts to escape, When these types of aquatic newts are given the correct care it's actually very unusual for them to try to escape in my experience.

mozzer

Reaction score
Today's Water Tests (all done with API test kits)

pH between 7.2-7.4

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Ammonia .25ppm (so I see the level of ammonia is a pinch high..):(

I do weekly water changes of about 30%..typically a gallon of aged water.

Monthly I do almost a 50% water change, also with aged water.

My tank has been set up since May. He has lots of plants, some underwater and some float on top. I see him periodically sitting on the top floating plants. The water is just deep enough to submerge a small box filter.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It seems your tank is not cycled, which is a common ocurrence when large water changes are performed and this is likely causing the occasional spike in ammonia levels leading to the newt not feeling comfortable in the water.
You should stop doing the 50% water changes, and the 30% too for that matter. It's much better to do water changes no larger than 20%. That's typically enough to keep parametres in check while not perturbing them so much that tyhe bacterial microfilm is affected every time you do a water change.

I would strongly recommend getting LOTS of live plants. Fill the tank with them and try to get a thick layer of vegetation right below the surface. The plants themselves will help hugely with water quality, will reduce the need for water changes but most importantly, will make the newt feel safe and prevent drowning.

mozzer

Reaction score
Eww. Didn't realize I was doing such damage with the water changes. Everything was measuring out well until recently. I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to checking the water perimeters. :eek: Thank you. I thought he had a lot of plants, but thinking I will hit the pet store for some more.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you post a picture we'll be able to offer better advice.
You really can't have too many plants xD so don't be shy, fill the tank with them. They will make a huge difference.

It's not necessarily harmful to make large water changes but it does mean that you are upsetting the bacteria every time, so you don't really get a fully cycled tank and depend on the water changes to maintain good conditions. If instead of that you allow the tank to cycle completely and only do weekly 20% or less, water changes, you will end up with a very stable environment which will require absolutely minimal maintenance. With enough plants, the maintenance gets so low you almost feel guilty for not doing anything :p

mozzer

Reaction score
I tried up loading my picture of the tank he is in. It says I had too much type? I didn't type much, so I assume it meant my picture file was too large?:confused:

Update on my guy though. He is acting his normal self again. Hanging out on his favorite floating plants. He is back to looking curious when I approach his tank.:rolleyes: Water quality has been measuring good as well. Still plan on getting more fresh plants.

Sir Jagger

Reaction score
Toni, glad he has returned to normal. Was curious though what you were referring to when you said rapid chin vibrations. I have a newt that wil quickly open its mouth slightly then close slowly as if "tasting" the water although I'm not sure that's what he's doing. Was wondering if this is a bad sign or similar to the chin vibration you referred to. Thanks.

mozzer

Reaction score
I think "vibrations" might have been a bad description. I was referring to the rapid "swallowing" or breathing motion of the throat. Like when they get too hot. I notice in mine, you usually only see the throat move when he is underwater letting out a bubble..or when he is swallowing food or something. Was that clearer?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure about your guy. I haven't seen mine do that, but I have only had him since May. I'm still learning a lot. I know for a fact that someone on here will have way better information though.:D

Sir Jagger

Reaction score
Okay, I see what you where referring to, thanks for the reply. Best of luck, I also have some cfbs. And yeah, there is a lot to learn but I think you came to the right place, a lot of these members really know their stuff and have good advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!