Axolotl building a fortress

keiko

Reaction score
Country
Finland
So the past week or so my big guy has been building a fortress. My axies have a big plastic hollow tree trunk in the tank that's my male's favorite hide and lately he's been pushing all the moss balls at one end of the hide to block the exit. He then goes in and stares out of the other end looking very proud of himself. Every now and then he goes and gives my wild type female a little push towards the hide. I swear it looks exactly like a bird building a nest and then trying to attract a female. :D Every time I have to move the moss balls when I'm cleaning he goes and pushes them all back a little later.
Do your axies do this or is mine just a little confused about his species identity? :D

Certainly sounds like nesting! Can you see any spermatophores in the 'cave'?

My males regularly move their furniture round, but I'm not sure there is any real purpose to it.

No spermatophores at least so far.
He has been moving stuff around and ripping up plants all his life but until now he has done it mostly just to get them out of his way. Now he seems very determined about moving them exactly where he wants them. Currently there are 5 or 6 moss balls in his cave. :D

Omg I thought the moss balls were just floating/rolling over there inside the cave when my guys swam past or whatever. They always seem to end up inside the not-very-large cave hide and my guys sit in there and look out the other, open exit. I guess they're actually moving them? That is so weird!

I would love to see a picture of that, Keiko! :D

Sorry I don't have any good pictures. It's kind of impossible to get one of the inside of the cave without putting my camera in the water. :p But here are a couple of bad ones. I'll try to get a picture of him building it later. :D

Attachments

• 2014-08-19 13.36.30.jpg
    2014-08-19 13.36.30.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 2014-08-19 13.36.59.jpg
    2014-08-19 13.36.59.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 181
thats so cute, wish i had an axolotl but my mum wont let me yet:(:(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back