Moving with an adult axolotl?

cmh66

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will be in school in Florida for another year or so and I have to start thinking about my big move to the West Coast. Have you ever had to move a long distance with an axy, or heard of any stories? I really really do not want to relocate him, but if he were to have a hard time moving, then I will. Can they even go on planes? Would I be able to ship him? :confused:

I think I've heard of some people shipping live animals in the US? But I'm not sure, in Finland you can't do that. Just make sure it's overnight so they won't suffer too much. Make sure the axie won't get too hot during the move (put ice bottles next to the container or something) and don't feed the axie before moving (so that it wouldn't poop in the container).

You can absolutely ship :). Make sure to ship express and i ship mine in styrofoam coolers, with an ice pack then put that in a sturdy shipping box.

You can absolutely ship :). Make sure to ship express and i ship mine in styrofoam coolers, with an ice pack then put that in a sturdy shipping box.

Oh wow! Okay..I will have to look more into that...I am just nervous he will get hurt or not make it. Have you done it multiple times?

Oh wow! Okay..I will have to look more into that...I am just nervous he will get hurt or not make it. Have you done it multiple times?

At least 10 :) i get 2 fish bags from my pet store, and i put the axolotl in one, with freshclean water, a bit less than half full, and make sure u have plenty of air in the bag. Insulate by placing in cheap styrofoam cooler. I put a layer of paper towels over the fish bag, which i double bag, tjen on top of the paper towels i place a good ice pack. Ship next day. Ive shipped many times, no deaths :). Oh and always label shippong box fragile and this end up.

I work at UPS, and I would just add to label the boxes "live aquatic animals". Mostly nothing goes wrong either way but if the box gets damaged we'll know to open it and make sure nothing's leaking/etc.

One time we had a fish come through and it's bag was leaking. I ran home and got my spare 10 gal and we set it up at the warehouse for the lady to come pick up. It was raining so we would probably not have opened the box if it hadn't been labeled as aquatic animals. .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back